Pulled Muscle... I Think...

Guest jessicaksu125

Guest jessicaksu125

Gigi is gimpy. It started after she was running around in the backyard two days ago.

I'm almost positive it's a pulled muscle. I've felt up and down her leg... there's no part that makes her really uncomfortable but she is a bit more sensitive when I get to the upper part.

She does wince when going up and down stairs but doesn't seem to be in pain just while walking around the house. When she is standing she always keeps that paw off the ground.

I haven't taken her for walks these past couple days, but would it actually be good for her to stretch it out a bit? I seem to remember reading that walking is good for pulled muscles, but of course I could be wrong!

Any advice would be appreciated!

Guest Energy11

How old is Gigi?

Do you have any Deramaxx or Rimadyl in the house? If not, maybe you can get some from your vet. These drugs are not only pain-killers, anti-inflammatories, NSAIDS, (*like human Ibuprophen). They would most certainly help a pulled muscle, or muscle strain. If this doesn't get better in a few days, I might opt for an x-ray to be sure.

For now, limit her exercise, and you could try applying warm compresses to where you think the pulled muscle is.

DO keep us posted! Dee and The Five

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Is it a front or back leg?

If back it might be easier to see any sort of bruising which normally comes paw and paw with a pulled muscle.

Light exercise is OK as like you thought it will help to keep the muscle working instead of sitting around and letting it get all tightened up.

Just a thought but did you check pads and toes too? A hound with a pulled muscle will not normally hold that leg up while resting. Reason is because they actually have to use that muscle to hold the leg up, if that makes sense :)

Guest jessicaksu125
How old is Gigi?

Do you have any Deramaxx or Rimadyl in the house? If not, maybe you can get some from your vet. These drugs are not only pain-killers, anti-inflammatories, NSAIDS, (*like human Ibuprophen). They would most certainly help a pulled muscle, or muscle strain. If this doesn't get better in a few days, I might opt for an x-ray to be sure.

For now, limit her exercise, and you could try applying warm compresses to where you think the pulled muscle is.

DO keep us posted! Dee and The Five

Gigi is 4 and a half. I don't... but I'll call the vet and see!

Is it a front or back leg?

If back it might be easier to see any sort of bruising which normally comes paw and paw with a pulled muscle.

Light exercise is OK as like you thought it will help to keep the muscle working instead of sitting around and letting it get all tightened up.

Just a thought but did you check pads and toes too? A hound with a pulled muscle will not normally hold that leg up while resting. Reason is because they actually have to use that muscle to hold the leg up, if that makes sense :)

It's a front leg.

I checked her paws... no discomfort and nothing out of the ordinary.

I see what you're saying on that bit about holding her leg up.

Hoping it IS a pulled muscle. We thought Polly pulled a muscle last week too. Then I got real paranoid because she does have an old racing injury on her front wrist that causes that joint to be less mobile. I visualized a swelling, then a tumor, born from my paranoia, even though that joint wasn't painful to her. Then we examined her pad, and it was all red inside. We have a few stones in our yard, and she'd been running with Tess. We put some ointment on it, and kept her quiet for a few days, and she's fine now. Have you checked Gigi's pad too?

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown