What Do These Symptoms Sound Like To You?

Guest lanielovesgreys

Guest lanielovesgreys

My good friends pug, Rigs, is really sick. this morning he couldn't stand, he keeps falling over. They took him to the vet and they said his bloodwork shows a super low red blood cell count, they may need to keep him for two weeks. they said he has earlich, or irlicha (they weren't very clear - launguage barrier). they said he might have eaten rat poison (which I know isn't true), or gotten it from a tick bite (he does get ticks, we took one off of him this morning).

He's being treated for heartworms. Apparently in Puerto Rico you need something stronger than just basic heartguard. :( And there's no way he got into rat poison as he hasn't left their house in days (due to being treated for the heartworms).

Anyone on GT have any ideas? She's just beside herself and the vet said he'll get back to her by the end of the day. Which just seems like eons away.

Ehrlichia- one of those nasty tickborne diseases (TBDs). Certainly a possibility.

Rat poison is easier to reverse- lots of vitamin K for warfarin. That should be fairly obvious, with blood in the stool and/or urine.

Most likely, they'll already have a tick panel in progress, and he'll be on antibiotics by now- well in advance of any test results. The heartworm itself can be enough of a problem, but I don't think that alone will cause a low red blood cell count.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Is the dog in PR or the States?

If he has erlichia, he needs treated with doxy asap--an injection followed up with pills. Not sure what a shot of dex would do to a dog being treated with HW.

If adminstered, I don't see why a dog in PR would need anything more (strength wise) than we use here.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest lanielovesgreys
Is the dog in PR or the States?

If he has erlichia, he needs treated with doxy asap--an injection followed up with pills. Not sure what a shot of dex would do to a dog being treated with HW.

If adminstered, I don't see why a dog in PR would need anything more (strength wise) than we use here.

They're in Puerto Rico. The vet down there said that heartworm on PR is very very common, even with preventatives. :eek Whatever they're doing to him, they're keeping him and he's on an IV. So it sounds like they're doing the right things. I can't imagine going to the vet and not being sure I understood what they were telling me. :(

Guest Energy11

Hummmmm.... could be anything with that low RBC (red blood count). A tickborne disease COULD cause that ... maybye yes, maybe no... Rat poison contains a major blood thinner called Warafin, and can be deadly.

They do need to figure out what it is, and get to the bottom of it, ASAP. Maybe a blood transfusion would be in order? The dog is most likely anemic, from whatever ... The Heartworm treatment DOES make them very weak as well.

Tell your friend, GOOD LUCK on this! Thinking of you all !

Guest lanielovesgreys
Hummmmm.... could be anything with that low RBC (red blood count). A tickborne disease COULD cause that ... maybye yes, maybe no... Rat poison contains a major blood thinner called Warafin, and can be deadly.

They do need to figure out what it is, and get to the bottom of it, ASAP. Maybe a blood transfusion would be in order? The dog is most likely anemic, from whatever ... The Heartworm treatment DOES make them very weak as well.

Tell your friend, GOOD LUCK on this! Thinking of you all !

They did a transfusion. :( If it is Ehrlichia sounds like it won't be fatal, just a long, uncomfortable treatment. :( Poor Rigs.