Melody Got A Growth Removed

Guest Zoomom

Guest Zoomom

Melody is 9 years old and generally very healthy and energetic. For the past couple of years she has had a small wart or skin tag on her side. The vet has known about it and basically we were keeping an eye on it for any growth and change. Over the past couple of months it had started to grow a little and get some weird bubbling on it, so yesterday she went in and got it removed. Since she was going out anyway, she also got a dental and some vaccines she was due for.

Yesterday I picked her up after work and she was totally wiped. Her legs were a little shaky and she obviously had no energy, she could barely get into the backseat of my car. When we got home (around 6:30 pm) she climbed onto the couch and literally didn't move for over three hours, then she dragged herself down onto the dog bed and slept there without moving for the rest of the night and until I made her get up and go outside this morning. Walter emailed me earlier and said she still hadn't moved all day. How long will she be like this?

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Dogs react differently to anesthesia. It could take her a couple of days. But I would call the vet towards the end of the day if there's no improvement just to be sure.

Guest EmilyAnne

My 14 yr old non-grey took about 48 hours to recover (mostly, not 100%) from anesthesia he had a few weeks ago.

Guest Energy11

ALL DOGS/Greys have different reactions to anesthesia! Goldie take HOURS to recover from light sedation just to cut her nails! BOY, I HATE sedating her for just that, but she will NOT let anyone touch those darned nails!

If your greykid doesn't rally by tomorrow morning, I'd call the vet!. Good Luck! D

Guest Zoomom

Fortuneately when I got home tonight she was much better. Still not back to her normal self, but she was waiting at the door for me as usual and doesn't seem so painfully lethargic.

You might let your vet know so he/she can put a note in Melody's chart. Dogs react differently to anaesthesia; could be vet would want to go a little lighter on the meds or use a different induction agent next time around. Also, depending on the dog and the bump, sometimes smaller things can be done with a local instead of general.

All that said, my Joseph is one who's a little slow to get back to 100% after anaesthesia. Eats, goes out to pee and poop, might even play a little, but is clearly not at his top energy level for at least 2 days. His vet recommends keeping a dog quiet / no stressful activities for @ 3 days after.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.