Hot Spot Crazy!

Guest momofgreys

Guest momofgreys
Ok, I have a greyhound who has a hotspot on her rear leg higher up on the leg. She has licked it so much and has evaded every attempt I have made to keep her away from it, it is huge and red and swollen and bleeding. I have tried bandaging it, but I can't keep it on there because of the location... I put a pair of pj's on her, she just licks it thru the pjs, tried lots of e-collars from the vets... I even saw where you can make the collar that just goes around their neck like a neck brace, but you make it with a towel... or you can buy one that keeps them from bending their necks, I think it is called a no bite collar. I tried that today and I just checked on her and she has licked it raw and bleeding AGAIN!!! I have never seen a dog so determined to get to a hotspot. I am thinking a cortizone injection may help, but I can't figure out how on earth to keep her away from it. Any ideas??? I know a normal ecollar is not long enough to keep her away from it. Please help!!! :(

Guest VanillaBean

The ONLY thing that helped my dog with her hot spots was Chiropractic. She got adjusted at the base of her neck and base of tail and never had another hot spot the rest of her life.

I bought the soft comfy cone last month and it did not work for Ziggy. He was bit by a dog last month on his left hind leg and he could still lick it with the cone on!!! The only thing that worked is to duck tape his muzzle. He's been muzzled for a whole month! I felt so bad...but it has FINALLY healed enough to remove the muzzle. :colgate We also used EMT spray to help it heal faster.

Would something like this help? I made it out of the sleeve of an old sweatshirt. If you used something nice and thick hopefully she wouldn't be able to lick through it.

0802150025CR.jpg

If it's bothering her that much, though, are you sure it's not infected? Can you speak to the vet about some medication to stop the itch? When Sunny had some itchy stitches I found that running colloidal silver over the wound several times a day helped somewhat.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

(Hawthorn, what a beautiful dog! :wub: Oh my word!)

My boy Faolin used to do the exact same thing. He did have some pretty stubborn ear infections that eventually responded to allergy shots. Is she itchy anywhere else? There is a topical spray that I've seen recommended that would probably help (I'll try to find the name of it) but you should try to determine what the source of the irritation is. She'll only lick another one somewhere else if she's still uncomfortable.

eta: found it: Genesis topical spray.

Edited by sweetdogs

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest momofgreys
Thank you for all of your quick replies!! I had tried the trick of using the muzzle with a plastic cup on the inside of it... thought I had it with that one, and she found a way around it, she just tilted the cup up enough to get her tongue underneath it. I tried using a fairly think pair of pj bottoms, but she just continuously licked it and was able to irritate it thru the fabric. I am not sure what caused this, she has always been very fastidious when it comes to cleaning and keeping her paws and skin very clean. I think she just got a bit dry this winter and when that licking caused a spot of soreness and irritation, there she went with it and would not leave it alone. I am trying the muzzle with duck tape over the top of it. I think this will work for us. I found some articles online that talked about using apple cider vinegar and epsom salts dissolved in the vinegar as a great healing agent. I put mine in a spray bottle and I'm trying to spray the area 4 or 5 times a day with this solution. I need to get the area dried out and keep it clean and I think it will heal. I will keep you posted on this, thanks so much for all of the great ideas!! I refuse to let my girl outsmart me on this one!!! :huh

Guest ChasesMum

For Chase, her hotspots were seemingly caused by corn in her dogfood (or near as I can tell - changing to a corn free food cleared it up, course it could be unrelated or could have been some other additive in the food)

anyways... taping a muzzle was what I was going to suggest but it was already suggested!

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Cover the immediate raw area and spray Bitter Apple or perfume all around it. Dogs don't usually like the taste and will stop licking. You don't want to get the Bitter Apple or perfume right on the raw spot though cuz that's an ouchy!