Urine Ph Problems

Guest JulesL

Guest JulesL

I took Wind to the vets 4/1 for her routine check up. They found moderate protein and her pH was 8.0, they gave her Baytril and Science Diet C/D. Took her back again 2 weeks later protein was gone and pH was 6.6

I guess I would like to know if there is a way to get her urine pH back to the normal level. Do anyone have any experience with this???

Edited by JulesL

Guest JulesL

I meant does anyone have a hound that has had urinary or pH problems? Is there anything else that I can do other than the C/D dog food?

Thanks!!

pH was probably a little high the first time around because of the UTI, now on the low side (but within range) due to C/D. Wouldn't think dog needs C/D. What does she normally eat? I'd put her back on her regular diet and recheck in a month.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Greytluv

I was told that they need to drink more water. I just put lots of water in her food and she drank it up before eating. Now it's fine :dunno

Guest JulesL

She was eating Iams (green bag). I just did not understand why they put her on the C/D and said it would probably be needed long term.

I have started adding about 1 - 1.5 cups of water into her food, and she will drink that before she eats. So she is getting more water.

Will adding cranberry pills or maybe vit C help with preventing UTI's?

Thanks!