Paw Pads

We took Lucy to visit the dog park for the first time today, and she came home with a couple of paw pads rubbed to the point of being slightly pink (not red or bleeding) and a small cut (slightly larger than a paper cut) on the underside of one of her toes (above the pad). :( We rinsed them all with water and I applied some Betadyne on the cut, which stopped bleeding after just a minute. Obviously she'll be resting and not going to the park or on walks for a while, but is there anything else I can do? I wrapped some gauze around the paw with the cut in an attempt to keep it clean, but of course she chewed it right off. I'm worried about the cut getting dirty when she goes out. I'm going to give the vet a call tomorrow to see what they recommend, but in the meantime, does anyone have any advice? Will the pads heal on their own, or do I need to cover them? She seems to be walking a little gingerly, but is still moving around as much as usual. I feel so bad. :unsure

sig_border.jpg
Always missing our angel Lucy, a four year osteo survivor.

Guest spider9174

I keep some baby socks in my first aid kit. put the sock on her paw, take a little bit of vetwrap and put it around the top of the sock to help it stay on. baby socks work GREAT for protecting paws!

if you have to take her for a walk and it's wet out, i recommend a boot or a PAWZ bootie.

side note...make sure you dilute betadyne out of the bottle.

Guest BlackandBrindle

Maybe put some bag balm on them.... how new off the track is she? Sadie has more sensitive/soft feet than Spud but if she's relatively new it will just take time to toughen up her pads :)

Of course, Sadie has been off track for three years now and she's still soft footed :lol

Maybe put some bag balm on them.... how new off the track is she? Sadie has more sensitive/soft feet than Spud but if she's relatively new it will just take time to toughen up her pads :)

Of course, Sadie has been off track for three years now and she's still soft footed :lol

She's pretty new - off the track for about 5 months. We weren't at the park all that long, but now I'll be checking her feet constantly if we ever go again!

I hadn't thought of baby socks - thanks for the suggestion. I'll get some tomorrow. I can probably apply some bag balm and then put the sock over that, though I don't think she will like having anything on her feet. I wasn't sure if keeping them covered would help or make it worse.....but I guess a cotton sock would still allow her feet to breathe.

sig_border.jpg
Always missing our angel Lucy, a four year osteo survivor.

Guest agroshong

If I know we're going out to the park in advance, I start using bag balm on Axel's pads a few days ahead of our outing so they have time to be in good shape for zoomies. When I get him home, I check for any splits or dings, wash them in warm water, then give them another bag balm treatment that evening. I use antibiotic gel on any open abrasions and leave them uncovered to breathe. He won't stand the socks on his feet. Too much practice pulling his bandages off from previous injuries! :rolleyes:

She'll toughen up in not too long. You'll just need to watch out for any actual abrasions.

Guest kydie
I keep some baby socks in my first aid kit. put the sock on her paw, take a little bit of vetwrap and put it around the top of the sock to help it stay on. baby socks work GREAT for protecting paws!

if you have to take her for a walk and it's wet out, i recommend a boot or a PAWZ bootie.

side note...make sure you dilute betadyne out of the bottle.

This baby sock idea is great, my boy has a painful pad I have done everything to help, I'm on my way to Walmart thanks kydie

If she won't keep the baby socks on, at least soak the paw for a few minutes in warm water with epson salts--this will clean the cut and help ease any pain. I find it easiest to do with the dog lying down, and use a large plastic cup to stick the paw in--although prepare to get someone wet.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest wjamg

I found baby socks that work great...the newborn bootie type ones..they stay on all night. I often put bag balm or vaseline on Peace's feet and she wakes up with soft tooties!

Guest TexasGreytMom

Our girl was found running along a major highway while evacuees were fleeing Louisiana to Texas. A kind family picked her up and she ended up in a wonderful foster home. But, she had practically run her pads completely off. Her foster mom nursed her back to health and used Soothables Tender Foot cream. I continue to use it on their pads and even on their dry elbows:

Tender Foot is a specially compounded multi-vitamin cream. Use to protect, repair and restore lost resiliency to foot pads exposed to: Snow, ice and chemicals, hot sidewalks or black top, rough terrain, briars or nettles.

Also, use to soften and moisturize elbows calloused by lying on cement or other rough surfaces. Tender Foot cream is stabilized at the pH of normal animal skin.

Guest LynnM

Nothing. Make a point of walking the dog on soft grass, clean sand, or some other similar easy-on-the-feet material for the next few days. Potty walks only, too.

A few blown pads are no reasons to be worried. They'll heal quickly. In my experience, messing with them only makes it take longer to heal.

ETA, I assume you're talking about a dog that's blown her pads in recreational running. A dog that's fallen into the road (ie, out of a pickup) needs veterinary attention. Everyday running injuries are no big deal but road rash takes some knowhow to treat.

Lynn

Edited by LynnM