Bad Breath, Causes?

Guest Hollys2hounds

Guest Hollys2hounds

Lexy had a dental back in the fall (around November). Our vet said she had some plaque build up, but basically, she has decent, healthy teeth-- nothing was pulled. Over the last few weeks, I have noticed her breath is getting worse and worse... kind of fishy smelling. Her food is lamb, chicken and rice. (All three dogs eat the same food, and Lexy is the only bad breath problem) I stopped giving her fish oil back in March thinking it might be that, but her breath has not improved.

She eats, sleeps, poops/pees and plays fine... and I try to brush teeth at least once a week.

DH says her breath was never great, but that it has gotten worse. Lexy is almost 5 years old.

Any ideas? Is a trip to the vet in order? What could it be?

Thanks.

Edited by Hollys2hounds

Teeth are always what I tink of first, and it's the easiest fix.

One of mine needs a dental every 8-10 months. It's just the way his mouth/teeth/eating habits are that his teeth get dirty faster. Have you tried brushing them yourself? I am TERRIBLE at teeth brushing and choose instead to give them teeth cleaning, chewy/crunchy chew bones every night. It helps a bit but Copper still needs professional help!

greysmom:D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest MnMDogs

Mork always has kind of funky breath, even with teeth brushing every other day. If it's just fishy, I wouldn't worry too much especially if she seems like she's otherwise ok.

A couple years back, Mork's breath got really really bad (bad like if he licked you, your hand would smell like poop). It turned out he had an abscessed tooth, and once that was pulled during a dental, the disgusting breath went away. It still gets a little nasty if I wait too long between brushings. But NOTHING like it was then.

That said, if you think her breath is much worse than normal, it can't hurt to consult a vet.

Edited by MnMDogs