Broken Tooth

Guest greyfamily

Guest greyfamily

Hi everyone I have a question about a chipped tooth.

We brought Turner home just over 2 weeks ago. Before bringing him home he was neutered and had his teeth cleaned.

We took him to the vet this week and our vet let us know that Turner has a broken tooth. When the break happened we have no idea but the tooth has split. It does not seem to be bothering him right now and the vet recommends we wait a couple of weeks before removing the tooth so he does not have to "go under" again so soon. IS this ok? The vet told us to keep a close eye on the tooth and surronding area. Turner will let me touch his gums without flinching and he is eating just fine, so I don't think he is bothered by it.

But should we wait about a month before removing it?

Thanks

Guest greyfamily

It is the tooth next to the front teeth....

Yes we crate him, but he has never shown any signs of distress in the crate (the vet asked us that too). He is only crated when we leave the house and that is for maybe 15-20 mins at a time maybe 3 times a day.

Guest greyfamily

Another question to go along with this...other than flinching are there any other signs that I should look for to know if he is in pain? He is soooo mellow I am afraid I may miss any signs that he is in pain. :(

If he's taking longer to eat (especially something like a hard biscuit), hesitating before diving into his dinner, drooling, shying away from your hand, growling if you get close to his face -- those could be signs of pain.

FWIW, my vet would probably do the same: If dog isn't in distress, wait a couple weeks since last anaesthesia. Sighthounds clear anaesthesia rather slowly, so it's best to give their systems some time to fully recover unless there's a real need to put them under again. Wouldn't call it dangerous to do so, just potentially harder on the dog.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.