Crystals In The Urine?

Guest hllb

Nikki had started having accidents in the house. So, we took a urine sample in, expecting a UTI or bladder infection. They said that she didn't have the typical infection signs, but given the accidents, they would give her Clavamox for 3 weeks. They said it was odd because she had a lot of crystals in the urine and that if they didn't resolve after the antibiotics, we would have to try a special food for her.

Then on a post on this website, it made it seem like crystals in the urine was a typical sign of a UTI. So which is it?

They were getting Canidae food before and we're switching to Wellness to try something different, in case it is the food.

Crystals (and there are two types that I know of) have to do with the PH in the urine, I believe. My bichon had developed crystals and stones (struvite) from chronic UTIs. Sometimes certain foods can help or even cranberry juice or children's vitamin C (depending on the type). Hope she responds to the meds.

She finished her meds earlier this week. We'll take a new sample in next week. Fingers crossed! She has had 1 accident in the last 2 weeks (in her crate while we were at work), but the weather was bad that day so she may not have actually gone potty when she went outside in the morning.

Edited by hllb