Piroxicam And Tramadol

Guest LoveSeniorGreys

Guest LoveSeniorGreys

My 14 yr old, Sally, has been on the combo of Rimadyl and Tramadol for several months. One Rimadyl and three (total) Tramadol daily. She is clearly still having pain issues. We have tried to increase the Tramadol amount, but she gets very itchy and can't tolerate more.

We are going to try a combo of Piroxicam and Tramadol per our Vet's advise. Sally has lumbar sacral symptoms and now appears to have some sort of spinal lesions as well. She cannot be X-rayed at this point without being sedated prior. The Vet says she is clearly too painful to try back X-rays without the sedatives.

We have three more days of Rimadyl tabs and then we have to wait 72 hrs before we can start the Piroxicam.

Just looking for your experiences with this newly suggested combo. :gh_lay

Piroxicam can be very effective but, what works for one may not work for another. It can be tough on the tummy--you may want to ask your vet about giving it with carafate (tummy protector). Just as a side note Piroxicam is given to dogs with bladder cancer---it slows the cancer growth.

edited to add--did you ask your vet about using gabapentin??

Edited by tbhounds

Guest LoveSeniorGreys
Piroxicam can be very effective but, what works for one may not work for another. It can be tough on the tummy--you may want to ask your vet about giving it with carafate (tummy protector). Just as a side note Piroxicam is given to dogs with bladder cancer---it slows the cancer growth.

edited to add--did you ask your vet about using gabapentin??

I've never heard of gabapentin? But when we go back next month I'll ask the Vet about it.