Thyroid Questions

Guest DarkHorse

Hope I can post before the thread is locked. I just had my 6 year old grey/whippet (terrier probably) mix diagnosed with hypothyroid. I brought Keeva to the vet for her checkup, noted to the vet that she had been increasingly nervous and shy, not like her. Keeva had also gained weight (no change in food, she had recently been experiencing a decreased appetite) and was a bit lethargic, I thought it was due to the decrease in exercise over the winter. I remember saying to the vet, "she is just not herself"

No symptoms of poor skin, allergies or infections. She had a very bad bought of uveitis last year, cause was never found. Vet suggested we run bloodwork including T4 level. Keeva's T4 level was 0.6, reference range is 1.0-4.7. We ran more bloodwork and found her cTSH was 1.18, reference range is 0.05-0.42. Vet suggested we start her on Soloxine which we have done, she is on a small dose and will re-check bloodwork in 5-6 weeks. Just my experience, I really never anticipated she had a problem with her thyroid and was very glad we checked it out. Good luck to you.

Linda, Valor, Keeva and Bella