Need Help With Itchy Ears And Eyes

Good morning all! I normally lurk around the board until I can find out the answer to my questions but this time I'm a little stumped.

My husband and I brought home Tank 3 months ago. We were feeding him Purina Pro Plan Shredded Chicken. He had loose poo's but that isn't our major concern. Since we've had him we've battled two ear infections. From what I've been able to gather here I thought it might be an allergy. I switched his food to Iams in the green bag because it doesn't have any wheat. He's only been eating it about a week but isn't any better. Do I need to keep feeding him the Iams or should I switch to a totally grain free food? Should I go to a total exclusion diet? Just looking for any advice you all might be able to provide

We are at such a loss what to do but hate seeing our boy all itchy and uncomfortable.

Thanks

If he has been checked by your Vet and pronounced free from other issues, it might be a worth a try to switch (v-e-r-y g-r-a-d-u-a-l-l-y) to an allergy formula food - something like sweet potato and duck - food sources to which he has never come in contact. That should tell you if it's the food. If he still has the ear infections, then it's something else - environmental allergies?

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Is the IAMS green bag chicken? If so, try CA Natural lamb or NB lamb and see if he improves. When I have one so bad, I just change foods. If it's right, they don't get real loose.

To give him a break, you might boil some beef and give that to him only for a day or two and see how he is.

edited to add: yes, allergies can produce ear infections. Also, cut out any treats for a few days.

Edited by Burpdog

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Is the IAMS green bag chicken? If so, try CA Natural lamb or NB lamb and see if he improves. When I have one so bad, I just change foods. If it's right, they don't get real loose.

To give him a break, you might boil some beef and give that to him only for a day or two and see how he is.

edited to add: yes, allergies can produce ear infections. Also, cut out any treats for a few days.

I've been thinking about doing that but I'm not sure how much to feed him and should I give him some rice also? If so how much? As you can tell I'm very new to this but also very concerned for Tanks well being.

Yes, I think that Iams green bag is the chicken formula

Edited by Houndless

Guest speedoketo

With pollen season revving up it could be inhalant as well but your vet would rule out food allergies first anyway. My dogs eat that shredded chicken blend like its crack but man did it make them fart... they're doing better on shredded lamb.

Guest sheila

I think the first thing I would do is take your dog for a vet visit and get their recommendations. It's really hard for regular pet owners to diagnose or suggest a treatment plan over the Internet. The problems COULD be food related, but they could also be related to something in the dogs environment.