Rimadyl

Guest Turkish

Guest Turkish

Hi,

Is rimadyl safe for greyhounds? My vet has recommended it, but I'm double checking. . .

Thanks in advance,

Turkish's parents

Sorry -- didn't see the recent post below.

Edited by Turkish

As safe as any other NSAIDs. I prefer deramaxx myself, but they are both good for inflammatiion.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest suzye

As far as I know, Rimadyl is as safe for greyhounds as any other dog. Make sure you read the drug pamphlet if given one by your vet, and if not, tell them they SHOULD have given you a pamphlet, and then get the information and read it. Make sure you screen your dog's kidney and liver function before starting Rimadyl, and do not give any other NSAID (i.e. Ascriptin) within a few days of starting it. Regardless of what anyone says, any dog just like any person can have a bad reaction. My dog went into kidney failure from Deramaxx, same class of drug -- NSAID. Be aware of what side effects can occur, and watch your dog. I'm not trying to scare you, I just want to give you the info that my vet did NOT give me, so you can be prepared.

Edited by suzye

Guest ProudGreyMom

If you check for my post about Rimadyl on this page you will see some good responses and I posted a link for info and a coupon.

Guest sirsmom

I had a giant breed that was on Rimadyl for 8 yrs and did well on it along with glycoflex. Our grey boy also did well on it for 2 years.

Edited by sirsmom

My greyhound Cali has been on Rimadyl for over a year. If she weren't, she'd not be with me. I cannot believe how much of a difference it makes in her life, she's over 14 now and still runs up the ramp to my deck occasionally when she feels frisky.

As far as I know it is OK for greys. I had my 10 year old grey on it for two years. Tests during those two years did not change his chem panel. To be on the safe side I would send an email to Dr. Jean Dodds at hemopet@hotmail.com and ask her for advice. Please keep us posted as to what she had to say.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg