Cellulitis

Guest guinness_the_greyt

Guest guinness_the_greyt

Hi,

When I came home on my lunch break today I found my mellow man Memphis limping. His left rear paw was terribly swollen... I took him to the vet straight away and they found that he has cellulitis.

He is on an aggressive course of steroids and antibiotics for 2 weeks and then we will recheck. Memphis is an extremely stoic hound and does not show signs of pain... I haven't found much info on canine cellulitis (except juvenile) The vet did tell me it is extremely painful.

Memphis is just shy of his 10th birthday... He has Valley Fever and Pannus - both auto immune diseases. The vet said that cellulitis is related to auto immune issues however it is not caused by a Valley Fever flare up.

Does anyone know what causes cellulitis?

Any tips or input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Amanda and Memphis

Guest Vinnie

I plugged in canine cellulitis right after you posted earlier and it kept popping up with the juvenile link - still looking but have not found anything in regular english that makes any sense. Hope he is doing ok. Hugs and scritches.

Guest guinness_the_greyt

Thanks for checking for me... Since Memph is nearly 10 I'm thinking he's a weeeeeeeeeeeeee bit old for juvenile cellulitis! :P All though when you say the COOKIE you'd think he was a puppy.... swollen paw and all! :lol

Cellulitis is what the doctor (human doctor) I used to work for called a "cop-out" diagnosis. It literally means inflammation of the cells. Usually it means infection in/under the skin. Usually caused by a small entrance wound like a scratch or even just a paper cut that gets infected and then spreads to the surrounding tissue. Immune problems make one a little more susceptible to anything, including infections. They also make stuff harder to get rid of. He may be on a long time of antibiotics, not just the usual 7-14 days. He may need a culture to identify the exact bacteria.

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Guest guinness_the_greyt

Thanks Angie, I neglected to add that his lymphnode in his leg is quite swollen also. Although - My guess was thats normal when something is infected.