Hystiocytoma Treatment

Guest SandOSU98

Guest SandOSU98

About a month ago this bump (slightly bigger than a pencil eraser) developed on Colby's back leg. I took him in to the vet who did a fine needle aspirate and told me it's a hystiocytoma and should go away. Yesterday, I noticed that the protective skin on top had split and it was bleeding. It didn't bleed much; it's kind of oozing, but there is no pus or anything. Colby wasn't licking it until it split, but now he is. It may have swollen a little bit, perhaps from the licking. It's hard to tell. Should I cover it if we're out walking so dirt doesn't get in it or would that prevent healing? How do you treat these things?

IMG_3728.jpg

When Carmen had one my vet gave me Tresaderm. It is an antibiotic drop that I put on twice a day and it was gone within a week. Carmens was also bleeding and oozing at the time that I noticed it. Good Luck.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

If it refuses to heal, you may have to have it surgically removed. I know of a few dogs where that has happened. At any rate, I think I'd make a vet trip. Good luck :)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest mandm

My greyhound had one on his ear. It resolved in about 3 months. Towards the end, the histiocytoma got big and would crack open and bleed when my dog tried to scratch it. Since it was on his ear, he couldn't reach it to clean up and so it made a mess. Sounds like you might be lucky that your dog will take care of clean up. I did nothing, no antibiotic cream, nothing, and the histiocytoma went away on it's own without a trace, except for blood drop stains around my house.

Guest SandOSU98

I think Colby must have supernatural healing powers--this morning i checked it out and it was scabbed over and had shrunk substantially! Maybe it had to burst to heal? He's going to the vet for a dental pre-op next week so I'll have her take another look then if it's not gone. Man those things are yucky! Guess it could be worse though...

Guest SueG201

One of my greyhounds had a histiocytoma on his leg, the jerky vet( whom I do not use anymore) took it off and the scar was worse looking than the cytoma.They eventually

go away on their own, but he was always breaking it open

I think Colby must have supernatural healing powers--this morning i checked it out and it was scabbed over and had shrunk substantially! Maybe it had to burst to heal? He's going to the vet for a dental pre-op next week so I'll have her take another look then if it's not gone. Man those things are yucky! Guess it could be worse though...

Every dog I've ever owned has had one and they seem to not even start to resolve until the vet does the needle aspirate. then they magically disappear.

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Guest SandOSU98

Every dog I've ever owned has had one and they seem to not even start to resolve until the vet does the needle aspirate. then they magically disappear.

I wonder why that is. Maybe it's like popping a zit? It look even better today.