Not Sure What This Was....

giadog

Last night, Moe Moe (one of our old dudes) had a really strange episode...He seemed fine when I got home from work, then all the sudden, he jumped up and started frantically licking the floor. For two to three hours straight!!! When I'd lift his head to make him stop licking, he'd start hacking and retching. His eyes were very red and bloodshot, and he seemed pretty distressed.

Finally, he retched enough to throw up, and it was pretty much all hair. I'm not sure if the hair was what was CAUSING the distress, or if it was picked up while he was licking the floor (although we did just clean the floors, so I'd be surprised if there was that much hair on the ground...) He went back to the frantic licking, and we put him outside because we didn't know what else to do! He immediately started eating as much snow as he could, then came back inside, threw up a bunch more snow and hair, and finally settled down.

When we went to bed, he didn't have any more licking or retching issues, but he was drooling pretty uncontrollably. That's what made me thing seizure or some sort of neurological issue.

This morning, he's totally fine...his eyes are back to normal, and he doesn't seem to be having any issues at all.

Any ideas? We're going to keep an eye on him and get a vet checkup, but since he seems so back-to-normal, I'm not sure the vet would be able to tell anything....

Guest EmilyAnne

In my experience, my dogs tend to lick a lot when nauseous. (although it can be part of focal seizures too) Any chance Moe Moe got into something last night?

I didn't SEE him get into anything between the time I got home (when he was acting fine) and when the weirdness started, but it's always so chaotic when I walk in the door that that's definitely not a guarantee he didn't. But it's good to know that the licking is a symptom of general nausea...my mind immediately went to neurological...

Guest EmilyAnne

Did he eat breakfast ok this morning? Does his tummy feel nice and soft? I'm not sure if this was a long span of focals or nauseau. It's kind of a guessing game. Is he on any meds? What kinds?

His stomach wasn't tender to the touch, nor did it feel distended. He took his treat this morning just fine, and I'll keep an eye on his dinner tonight. No meds necessary for him yet, he still thinks he's young and spry! Are there any other symptoms of focals? Maybe he showed them, and I just didn't know what to look for.... :unsure

Guest EmilyAnne

Well Henry, when he has his focals, he is glassy eyed and not fully responsive to his environment. It can vary for each dog though, so it's really hard to say.

I asked if Moe Moe was on meds because some meds can cause neurological symptoms. But he is not on meds, so it is not that.

Let's hope this was just a bout of nausea that has worked itself out!

In my experience, my dogs tend to lick a lot when nauseous. (although it can be part of focal seizures too) Any chance Moe Moe got into something last night?

That was my first thought too. Did he get into something. Focal seizures can show all variety of movements or even none at all. Repetitive movements are common in seizures but not necessarily indicative of seizures. Especially in animals who try to cure their own ills with what instincts they have. Bo did that after she ate a three days dead frog. Once she threw up the horrendously smelly mess on my kitchen floor she was fine. I'm glad that things are back to normal this morning. Watch for any repeats of last nights episode. Hope it was just a one time issue with his belly.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star