Can Bordatella Possibly Cause A Dog To Have An Accident In The House?

Guest pedalmasher

Guest pedalmasher

I have had Kitty for about 4 months. She has never had an accident in the house. Typically, she goes out in the back yard about 9 PM and then again at 7AM, and there has never been an issue. Last night, one of the family members was up at 2 AM and let her out to go so the night was unique in that she didn't even have to hold it as long as usual. I awakened this morning to a large pool of urine on the living room floor.

The only thing that was different in her routine was the fact that she had a Bordatella (kennel cough) vaccination yesterday afternoon. She seems perfectly normal and active. I have searched the web for possible side effects of the vacinne, but I cannot find anything that would lead me to believe that the Bordatella was the culprit. I simply cannot understand why she would have an accident after 4 months - especailly considering that she went out again at 2AM. Any thoughts or input? Thanks.

Never happened to us in the last six dogs. I'd say she just had an accident, clean it up, an move on. At four months in your home, she is still fairly new. :)

Did she do any chewing yesterday? Chewing = more water = more pee.

Extra hot yesterday inside or out? She would drink more water then, too.

Finally, was she nervous at the vet? One of my guys pants up a storm, drinks a bunch when he gets home, and pees more later.

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

Guest pedalmasher
Never happened to us in the last six dogs. I'd say she just had an accident, clean it up, an move on. At four months in your home, she is still fairly new. :)

Did she do any chewing yesterday? Chewing = more water = more pee.

Extra hot yesterday inside or out? She would drink more water then, too.

Finally, was she nervous at the vet? One of my guys pants up a storm, drinks a bunch when he gets home, and pees more later.

Thanks for the reply. None of the above happened. It was quite a normal day for her, and she is totally relaxed at the vet. In general she has been a very relaxed dog from day one. I marvelled at the fact that she could be in a deep sleep and you could do anything to her and she would simply calmly open an eye. She is very sweet, calm and gentle.

I guess the accident was particularly amazing in that she had an extra trip outside at 2 AM. I have searched the internet for any evidence of accidents being a possible negative side effect of the vaccine, but I came up empty in my search. I guess it was just one of those strange, unfortunate things.

Maybe a UTI? I'd leash walk the dog and try to observe the color of the urine. Red or brown may indicate blood cells in urine, which could indicate an infection.

I'd contact the vet tomorrow AM and ask if you can bring in a urine sample.

Edited by DaisyDoodle

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

What happened between 2 AM and 7 AM? Could be that after the 2 AM trip outside, she was wakeful rather than slumbrous, and that can lead to pee ..... I'd just watch her the next few days and see how she does.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest pedalmasher

Thanks DaisyDoodle & Batmom - The first thing I thought of was the possibility of a UTI, and I will watch her and check her urine. Perhaps that sudden routine change did have an impact on her.