Help - New Dog, Diarrhea Everywhere

Guest FoxHollowFarm

Greyhound Newbie Too

I am a new greyhound owner, too. We just adopted 2 males. They have had pudding poo for a week. It has now turned into full blown diarrhea. I took everyone's advice and fasted them for 12 hours then started them one white rice and cooked chicken. I dissolved one Pepto Bismol tab for each hound and added it to their chicken and rice dinner. Should I be giving one tab or two? KB is 75 lbs and Zee is 68 lbs. NOTE: Both boys were wormed right before we picked them up.

I would love any suggestions.

Thanks,

The Newbie at Fox Hollow Farm

Edited by FoxHollowFarm

Have the been checked for worms? How long do you have them? Congrats and welcome.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest FoxHollowFarm
Have the been checked for worms? How long do you have them? Congrats and welcome.

We have had them approximately 2 weeks. The adoption agency warned us about the diarrhea and gave us diarrhea medicine which I gave to both hounds for the first 3-4 days. The poo had never been "normal", but, it wasn't true pudding either until we stopped the meds. Starting yesterday, we have full blown diarrhea in both.

I know think that my "high end" dog food is way too much for them. I think I will try to find Pro Plan for Sensative Skin and Stomachs. The downfall is that we live on a horse farm in the middle of the country. I know our local feed store does not carry any of the dog foods I have seen recommended :+(

After I get their stomachs settled down, we will start up on one of the new feeds.

Edited by FoxHollowFarm

I don't know what your high end food is and I don't know if your dogs were tested for worms? Which group did you adopt from?

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest FoxHollowFarm
I don't know what your high end food is and I don't know if your dogs were tested for worms? Which group did you adopt from?

We got them from the Greyhound Adoption of Ohio. The adoption agency was great. I know they were wormed on 2/27/09 with Drontal Plus. I assumed they were tested... I have not had them tested for worms. I am assuming "the runs" are from all the changes... Not only do we live on a farm with horses, but, have a very active 7 year old.. which the hounds love to play with :+)

Should I give the bland diet 3-4 days... am I over anxious about poo?

Thanks for any advice

Edited by FoxHollowFarm