Apple Cider Vinegar For Bladder Infections

I suspect that Seamus has a bladder infection, and I am taking a urine sample in for a culture. While searching online, I found a couple of references to giving your dog a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in their food or water to help clear up a UTI. Has anybody heard of this or tried it?

Thanks!

S.jpg

Guest Winterwish

I've never tried that and without knowing anything about it,I don't see how it would work for an actual infection. Maybe as a preventitive for a dog prone to that (possibly?),but the infection itself,the bacteria,really needs to be treated with antibiotics for that problem,also to prevent further infection,either to the kidneys or even another organism developing,which can happen.

Edited by Winterwish

I think you need to go see the vet about a UTI... and then you could give the ACV LATER as a preventative. It won't hurt. My dogs get ACV occasionally in raw meals for digestion reason. I, myself, drink 2 tbls. a day mixed in water. There are a lot of "things" it is naturally helpful for.

Again, GO TO THE VET. UTI = nothing to mess around with. :)

edit: apology from miss bossy britches :lol because I see you already ARE going to the vet. All I meant was that it shouldn't be used in lieu of a possible antibiotic.

Edited by HJsM

ATASCOSITA DIAZ - MY WONDER DOG!
Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2003 - 12/16/09, our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11, our Bull: 8/7/00 - 1/17/13, our Wyatt Earp: 11/22/06 - 12/16/15, and our Cyclone 8/26/05 - 9/12/16

I think you need to go see the vet about a UTI... and then you could give the ACV LATER as a preventative. It won't hurt. My dogs get ACV occasionally in raw meals for digestion reason. I, myself, drink 2 tbls. a day mixed in water. There are a lot of "things" it is naturally helpful for.

Again, GO TO THE VET. UTI = nothing to mess around with. :)

edit: apology from miss bossy britches :lol because I see you already ARE going to the vet. All I meant was that it shouldn't be used in lieu of a possible antibiotic.

Thanks! :lol :lol :lol I didn't mean in place of a vet visit or antibiotics. It is wonderful to have so many people here looking out for our houndies. :)

S.jpg

Guest Redpack

Maybe to prevent, I don't know, but PLEASE don't give it to him now! I once had a well-meaning friend convince me to drink cranberry juice while I had one....and the acid just irritated it more. I was in agony!

I haven't heard of it for dogs, but I have heard about using it for humans

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

Guest longdogs

There are people who believe apple cider has magical properties. By the time that spoonful (mostly water) has made it through the digestive system and been absorbed by the gut, broken down in the liver, transported in the bloodstream, filtered by the kidneys and has finally reached the bladder along with a lot of other fluid, I personally don't think it will actually be doing much.