What Causes Watery Puke?

Guest greytexplorer

Guest greytexplorer

This morning, my cat Bitsy age 13?, got to horking and she gave up some watery puke.

Clear, not much foam at all. Less than a half cup. Little slimy, pretty runny though. She threw up on a sheet of packing paper, so I was able to pick up the paper, dribble the puke into the toilet and throw away the paper.

What causes this? Is this something to worry about/trip to vet?

I don't think she had eaten (well, duh), so maybe her tummy needed to be filled? :dunno

I put this in health/medical rather than offtopic, so I hope I don't offend.

TIA,

~Pat

Sounds like your cats was attempting to huck up a hairball but had probably recently had a drink?

Cats puke so often for so many reasons--

Unless it keeps up or she has any other symptoms like weight loss, diarrhea, I wouldn't worry about it.

Susan, keeper of kittehs

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

If they vomit and their stomach is empty, it's going to be clear and watery. My cat does it from time to time. However, non-hairball vomiting can be a sign of various medical conditions (hyperthyroidism, for one). When is the last time your kitty had bloodwork? One incident of vomiting isn't an emergency, but if she hasn't had bloodwork in the past six months I'd have it done pretty soon. You really need to monitor them closely at that age (my cat is 13 too).

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest greytexplorer

Bitsy had senior bloodwork done a few months ago at her annual checkup.

Vet was looking for thyroid probs cuz they do pop up at this time in their life.

Her thryoid workup came back A-OK. Vet was pretty amazed.

What are the chances that 5 months later, the thyroid becomes a problem?

Beats me. I just said thyroid because that's what I know most about -- my Carey has been hyperthyroid for a number of years now. If there was a problem it could easily be something else. But I wouldn't worry about it unless she shows other symptoms, or starts vomiting on a regular basis. Cats do indeed just puke a fair bit.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest Che_mar_Cody
If they vomit and their stomach is empty, it's going to be clear and watery. My cat does it from time to time. However, non-hairball vomiting can be a sign of various medical conditions (hyperthyroidism, for one). When is the last time your kitty had bloodwork? One incident of vomiting isn't an emergency, but if she hasn't had bloodwork in the past six months I'd have it done pretty soon. You really need to monitor them closely at that age (my cat is 13 too).

That's exactly what my cat of 20 years had (hyperthroidism) and the symptoms. Get her checked out.

It could also be kidneys, especially at her age. Are you able to observe her most of the time? If so, you could see when/if she does it again. If not, best go to the vet for another work-up.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).