How To Deal With Teeth

Guest mitchelldm7

Guest mitchelldm7

Hi, all -

Thanks so much for all of the advice you've provided me with thus far... I'll be posting a great update about Cha Cha, our new Grey, later today!

But in the meantime, I am looking for advice on dealing with her teeth. I brush them often, but I feel like they still get plaque-covered much faster than my other dog (a non-Grey). What do you all give your dogs for chewing and entertainment to help address that problem?

Thank you!

Derek

We brush Polli's everyday and she has had 3 full dentals in 14 months. Her teeth are terrible. At her first dental @ 8.5 years old, she lost 17 teeth. My others aren't so bad.

If you go the rawhide route, there is a rawhide called C.E.T chews. They are pricey but they really work. You can do a search for the best price online. Just remember, never leave your dogs unsupervised while eating any rawhide type of treat.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Our hound had tons of plaque when we adopted him 11 weeks ago. When I had him to the vet two weeks ago, the vet was amazed that the plaque was nearly all gone. Connor does not like us to brush his teeth at all. We give him femur bones that we get at the butcher and I believe that is what is cleaning his teeth so well. He loves them and they seem to keep him comforted when we have to leave him home alone for a couple hours.

Guest myjazzy
Our hound had tons of plaque when we adopted him 11 weeks ago. When I had him to the vet two weeks ago, the vet was amazed that the plaque was nearly all gone. Connor does not like us to brush his teeth at all. We give him femur bones that we get at the butcher and I believe that is what is cleaning his teeth so well. He loves them and they seem to keep him comforted when we have to leave him home alone for a couple hours.

As in beef femur bones? Jetstar just had a dental and although he didn't lose any teeth, I need to try to keep them in as good a shape as possible because he'll be 10 this year and I want to avoid anesthesia with him as much as possible from now on.

A friend of mine gives her greys tripe strips and says that helps their teeth a lot. She has a grey with skanky teeth and even though she takes excellent care of his teeth, she said she really has noticed a difference since she started giving him the tripe strips once a week. She also gives them turkey necks.

Ali has bad teeth. She lost 9 in 2008. Her teeth are a plaque magnet. I brush a few times per week, but now I am going to try to make with a daily thing. She just had a dental done yesterday and lost 2 teeth. She doesn't have many molar left. The vet did say that she does have pretty good teeth considering her age and how many she lost.

I give her, my other grey and the whippet a turkey neck (turkey sticks we call them my house) once a week and this has helped to keep their teeth clean. I try to brush everyone's teeth, but I need to make it a priority. Don't bother with Greenies, they are expensive and don't really do much. There are also concerns about digestive issues with them. I try to feed hard treat like biscuits to keep them crunching to help with the tartar.