Frank Update, And Chelsa's First Vet Visit

Guest FullMetalFrank

Guest FullMetalFrank

He went to see Dr. Beth today; good news is he gained back all the weight he'd lost and then some, he's almost 84 lbs! I know it's bass-ackwards for hypothyroid to lose weight before meds then put it back on once meds are started, but whatever, it's working. His bloodwork is not going to be back for awhile to see if we need to adjust. He is drinking much less water and hence the accidents have all but stopped and otherwise everything was looking good so I think we are going down the right path. Frank is behaving more like his old self (although he is beginning to show his age just a bit,) and he is looking really wonderful.

As for Chelsa, she got her boosters for all her vaccinations (they do the three year on everything but lepto, yay!) and a quick check up; she is 63 lbs (tiny bit chunky but she is solid and looks good, she raced at 55lbs.) Looked in her ears, checked her eyes, listened to heart and lungs, temp, etc... all wonderful. She did act like she wanted to eat the obnoxious little yappy snack size pom that was barking and lunging at us in the lobby, LOL! We are still working on her manners in public but she was a pretty good girl.

So all in all it was a good visit for both pups!

Great news!

Just FYI, I'm hypothyroid and so is one of my dogs. Among other things I've learned from my endocrinologist is that there's a sort of list of symptoms for hypo and hyper that are generally opposites of each other, they don't always run true to type. For instance, when I was hypo and not yet diagnosed, I was 5'8" and weighed 103 lbs. I also had tons of hair! Nor did I have a good appetite. And I'm not the only one. Hypos are also expected to have big appetites and gain weight but may not. In short, he said the symptoms may be the opposite of what's expected, and it sounds like that's what happened with Frank and his weight.

The analogy might be to clinical depression, where a person's symptoms may include either sleeping too much or having insomnia, and either over-eating or losing appetite. Which behavior manifests in any given case is probably a function of genetically-determined tendencies.

Glad you got it straightened out!

Merry Christmas,

Mary (mom to Spencer and Shane)

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

So refreshing and nice to see good reports! Greyt news! Happy Holidays.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project