What The Flock? Sunscreen Man...

For the past 30 minutes or so, Sunscreen Man has been panting heavily, whining, pacing, and occasionally shaking. This just started out of the blue. He also wants to be upstairs. (He's not allowed upstairs as a rule, but is in my room up here right now.) He would come to the top of the stairs and refuse to go back down. I even carried him down and he ran back up. I have no idea why. This is really weird. He went out, came in, went out, came in...

So he's lying here on the floor staring at me panting and whining.

I can't afford to take him to the vet. (Seriously. I've got nothing.) Should I make him throw up? I wish he could tell me what's wrong!

Tami, Nikki & Gypsy (non-greyhounds, but still pretty good dogs.) Deeply missing Sunscreen Man, Angel (Back on the Job), Switzler Festus and Joe (Indio Starr)

Guest BlackandBrindle

Is he running a temperature? That would be the first thing to check. Has he eaten anything lately or today that would upset his stomach?

Personally, it sounds like Sadie when she has a fever (from the valley fever). She shakes and pants and can't seem to settle.

If he does have a fever you might call your vet and see if they have any suggestions. Ascripton will help with minor pain and fever if that's all that's going on...

Guest Mommydog

Has there been any strange noises outside, say fireworks, that might have scared him ? Sounds to me like he could be scared of something. The other thing I'd watch for is any retching, trying to be sick, which could signify bloat. Hope he goes on OK.

He doesn't appear to be in any pain or physical distress. No retching. Frankly, I was thinking he was afraid of something, too. This started when he came in from outside. He ran upstairs, and started to whine. I'm going to bring him to bed with me and see if he wants to get under the covers or something.

How nice. I put him on the bed, and he's still panting a little, but is stretched out and not whining. I palpated his tummy, and he not only didn't seem to be painful, but enjoyed it. When I pet him, he settles down. I wonder if he fell down the stairs outside...

Tami, Nikki & Gypsy (non-greyhounds, but still pretty good dogs.) Deeply missing Sunscreen Man, Angel (Back on the Job), Switzler Festus and Joe (Indio Starr)

His temp is fine. (101.7) He occasionally sits up and pants, but he's also laying on the electric blanket now...taking up the whole bed, basically. Mostly he's just laying here now. I'm guessing something frightened him. How odd...

Guest BlackandBrindle

I'm glad he settled. It would make life so much easier if they could just tell us what's wrong.

Hugs to Sunscreen man. :grouphug I'm sure a cookie would help too ;)

just keep a short eye on him. This is how my Kiowa acted when he had an allergic reaction to what we think was a spider bite. He went to panting/pacing/whining to laying motionless on the floor in under 30 minutes. His throat swelled up and he was unable to breathe and it required an e-vet visit and a tracheotomy to keep him from suffocating. It was only after we had him stable and breathing on his own that I discovered a bruised/bloody bite mark on his inner thigh.

Guest greyvettech

If it was acute onset, it may be a disk or muscle injury- Is he lame, limping, or stiff when he is walking? They will pant and shake if they are experiencing pain. Hopefully, something just scared him and it is not medical....

Edited by greyvettech

Maybe he heard a turkey and misses driving them around. :lol

I was going to suggest feeling his belly but you've already done that. Have you looked at his legs and moved them to see if something is hurting him there?

Sunscreen!!! You behave yourself and quit scaring your mommy!!! Do I have to come out there and whip up on your little skinny white butt???

If he was spooked by something and hurt himself, that could explain it. Poor Sunscreen Man! It's ok, man! Just chill. It's gonna be just fine! Give him some belly rubs from me!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

I just got back from grocery shopping. He's still lying on my bed, but not panting or anything and appears to be quite content. I'll bet he fell down the stairs outside. It's really cold and icy, and I think that the way the porch roof is, it can drip onto the stairs. I'll give it an extra sprinkling of ice-melt. But he seems just fine now. Whew!

I know the feeling. Remember not too long ago Lee couldn't even stand on his own and had to be carried into the vet's office. Hug those babies. Miracles do happen. I'm glad he's feeling better.

You might check the weather forecast because this is exactly the way Polo acts before a storm comes in. In fact about an hour to an hour and a half before it gets her she is shaking and panting and pacing yeah whining also. We finally figured out that it is barametric pressure that bothers her. She does this when we travel in the mountains also. We give her 1 mg of melatonin and she settles right down. You can give up to 3 mgs but we use as little as possible. Just something to think about.

Hope it helps.

Ruth