Dry Skin In The Winter

Guest lanielovesgreys

Guest lanielovesgreys

My boy Sol has dry skin year round. I don't bathe them at all, and I put olive oil in his food. Should I/Can I use something topical? Laika's skin is starting to get really flakey too. Especially on the insides of her elbows and under her arms and legs. I have some skin so soft, but I know the fragrance alone will just aggravate the situation. What does GT suggest?

edited to add: I tried to search but you can't search dry... so :dunno

Edited by lanielovesgreys

You can put a little olive oil on your hands and stroke it over their dry skin - at least if they lick it off it won't hurt them.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Guest Greensleeves

Oh, I'm glad somebody brought this up.

Does anyone have any extra suggestions for WINTER ITCH?

Flint is already on a carefully-balanced diet and supplement regimen for his allergies, but the dryness of winter just pushes him over the edge. We have a whole-house humidifier (on our furnace system) *plus* a Kenmore humidifier that we run in the winter, but when it gets really cold here, it doesn't seem to help that much.

(I'm sure it's a funny/sad sight, to see Flint and me going at our skin in the morning when we first wake up! :lol)

I'd strongly suggest using Fish Oil capsules instead of olive oil. You can buy them at Walmart or a drugstore in the vitamin aisle.

Olive oil is OK, but it's vegetable based. Dogs process Meat based things better. I give my dogs a fish oil cap daily year-round, and Sobe gets triple that in the winter when our house is very dry.

I'd also suggest a raw egg in their food daily. You can leave the shell in there too if they'll eat it. Meat based oils seem to help more than vegetable based oils. Dogs ARE omnivores, but they process meats better than veggies. I'd also suggest feeding them canned Salmoln, tuna, or JackMack once or twice per week. (JackMack STINKS, BTW, but my dogs ADORE it). The cheapest brand is FINE. The cheaper it is, the more natural fish oil in it....which is exactly what you want! Or any fresh fish. Fish has a lot of good oils in it that help the skin and coat.

In summary - fish - fish - FISH.

ETA: There are topical treatments, too... but personally I try to treat from the "inside".

Edited by sobesmom

Guest FullMetalFrank

Hmmmm. I never knew about the meat based vs vegetable based oils thing; but it makes sense, I give Frank and Chelsa a squirt of olive oil on their food every day (they both have nice coats though, no issues) and they love it but I guess fish oil would be more beneficial? I also occasionally crack an egg into the food, shell and all...