Wilma Has Mushy Poop

Guest Heathers323

Guest Heathers323

So here is the story. A few weeks ago Wilma was not eating well and I figured it was either her teeth (i wet down the food) or she just didn't like it. So I took her to the vet. We changed her food to Nutro about 2 months ago and ever since then I've been having problems. I switched her back to Proplan Salmon and mixed in with Nutro and she tolerated that for awhile. Then I switched her back to Proplan Chicken and Rice and she seems to like that. Anyway, this is all before I took her to the vet. The vet put her on Metronidazole and I gave her that for 3 days. The vet said she didn't need to finish it. It seemed to make her poops more mushy as she went along. I did fast her for 12 hours and then started on plain chicken and rice. We've started to gradually mix in the Pro Plan again (about 20 kibbles right now) with the chicken and rice.

Anyway, her poop is still mushy and when it sits for awhile it turns green. This morning I noticed an older one had white balls in it. Now, that poop has been there a couple of days so I don't know if something could have grown on it. It has been cold here, too. For the past month, she probably has only had about 5 good poops.

She acts normally, playing, loving her walks and attention. She loves her chicken and rice, too. I did notice that she does not drink as much water as she used to. I have also been bad about giving her Milk Bones a couple times a day, but I probably shouldn't be doing that.

I'm going to schedule another vet appointment with a different vet with more Greyhound experience. I just wanted to see if anyone had an idea if she has worms or some other parasite.

Thanks so much for any advice or comments!! Greatly appreciated. :colgate

We've had the mushy-poop problem for four months, and nothing seems to help, though we haven't tried beet pulp yet. I was struck by your mention of poop turning green, as I've seen that happen a couple times too. What's up with that?! All this just to say I'm glad you posted and I'll be looking for answers along with you!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest Heathers323

Yeah, the green is bizarre!?!?!? It doesn't come out looking like that. I haven't tried the beep pulp yet either. She has an appointment on Friday so we will go from there. Just tired of mushy poop and it just doesn't seem right.

Have you checked out the "Lexie and The Mushy Poo" thread? There is some good info from others - info that you may need to have with you when you take Wilma to the Vet. Let us know how it goes. Meanwhile, prayers and healing light for Wilma.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

yes check out my dog's thread..lol. 2 months she has it..never had it before. the beet pulp helped some and i give her a probiotic and the vet put her on tyleson powder. She has firm poops again..(knock on wood) I think the beet pulp is helping a lot. ge tit at a feed store like for horses. It is 15 bucks for a 40 pound bag which will last you a lifetime...lolI feed lexie 1 tbsp twice a day sprinkled on her food.

gl

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

The green color may have something to do with bile, iron -- or eating too much green stuff. Turning green after a while is unusual-sounding. Maybe it's oxidation of some kind. :dunno

Marcia