Suppliments For Osteosarcoma

Guest tennesseegrey

Guest tennesseegrey

Caesar is on his second round of Chemo following his Osteosarcoma Diagnosis. I've had recommendations for Miracle Mineral Solution, Waora, Ox-E-Drops, etc. Please fill me in on what has worked for you. My Rosie only lived 1 year post diagnosis and I would rather Caesar go across the Rainbow Bridge from another cause, years from now. Your ideas will be welcome.

My vet had us get Artemix which can only be bought at one place.

http://www.hepalin.com/artemix.htm

It's not cheap, but what can you do!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Cancer is the result of a defective immune system - our bodies produce cancerous or pre-cancerous cells constantly but a healthy immune system is always on the alert and eliminates rogue cells. Anything that supports or strengthens the immune system can't hurt, but considering the expense of some of these supplements, the one credo I came to understand while researching Nikki's lymphosarcoma was that if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. One of the very few "truisms" that is acknowledged by academia is that cancer cells "feed" on carbs, so feeding a high quality, grain free diet is a generally a good place to start.

I am so sorry that you and Caesar are going down this road together! It is excruciatingly painful. You are in my prayers!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

One of the very few "truisms" that is acknowledged by academia is that cancer cells "feed" on carbs, so feeding a high quality, grain free diet is a generally a good place to start.

I used to be skeptical of this claim, and although I still have skepticism for carbohydrate restriction as a treatment, I do believe it has some benefit by way of preventing it. Whether carbohydrate restriction will keep large tumors from growing remains a bit of a mystery. It is also cryptic as to whether it'll help "microtumors"- the metastatic nasties that they are- from growing. A couple of studies would be interesting.

However, such a diet is very difficult and most people are not capable (or willing) to provide a truly ketogenic diet. In order to do so, the animal must be maintained in ketosis; most people think that some vegetable matter is (for some reason) required for proper nutrition in the canine, and are unwilling to provide nothing but meat and bone. It must be done with great focus in that exogenous carbohydrate must be taken to as low a value as possible. See also:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketogenic_diet

Although not so much along the lines of a supplement, what Dr. Stack (quite the pro at greyhounds) in Yuma, AZ has to say about her own dog may be of interest.

Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 13:37:12 -0700

Subject: MEDICAL: Tips from osteo survivor

<< Anyone out there have a long term cancer survivor, a year or more?

Could you please forward what treatments, feeding, medicines you did

that you feel might have helped your dog become a survivor. >>

My greyhound, Aussie, now 9 years old, is > 4 years post amputation

(Oct 23, 2003). His protocol:

Took x-rays just a few days after noticed him limping. Saw what looked

like osteo at proximal humerus (left shoulder). Did not waste precious

time with a biopsy - amputated the very next day.

Started chemo exactly 1 week post-amputation - the day we got biopsy

results back from the lab (we sent in the amputated limb for biopsy).

Aussie had 6 carboplatin chemo treatments. No problems except a low

WBC delayed the 6th chemo by 1 week.

He's taken 3.75 mg meloxicam (generic Metacam) ever since amputation

because he's got a bad arthritic hock in backleg on same side.

1 year post-amputation, I started him on 10 mg tamoxifen once daily.

Tamoxifen is the anti-estrogen drug that breast cancer survivors take

for the rest of their lives. Anecdotally, tamoxifen may be an

anti-angiogenesis drug (a drug that stops new blood vessels from

branching out from tumors). Tamoxifen can have some problems in girl

dogs but is OK for boys. Not approved nor or you likely to be able to

find out much of anything about it. I just started Aus on it because a

friend's boy osteo grey was started on it by Dr. Ogilvie (ex CSU

oncology guru). I figured if it's good enough for Dr. Ogilvie, it's

good enough for me.

Aus eats the same food as the rest of my dogs, "Enhance Hunter's Edge"

by ARKAT. We feed it because it's relatively cheap (we have lots of

big dogs) and does a greyt job keeping weight on my greyhounds with

once daily feeding. Relatively high in protein, fat, and calories.

Protein 24%, fat 18%, ~585 calories/cup. Aus doesn't get any

supplements or special treatment and is very fit (we live on 2 & 1/2

acres).

Suzanne Stack, D

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest MorganKonaAlex

There are a lot of anecdotal stories but no concrete studies showing diet or supplements reduce recurrence for osteosarcoma patients. There is some evidence a low carb diet helps lymphoma patients.

Adding Morgan to the anecdotal cases... he's 34 months past his osteo. diagnosis. He eats the same kibble as before his diagnosis and the only supplement is a fish oil capsule for his coat.

Guest EmbersDad
There are a lot of anecdotal stories but no concrete studies showing diet or supplements reduce recurrence for osteosarcoma patients. There is some evidence a low carb diet helps lymphoma patients.

Adding Morgan to the anecdotal cases... he's 34 months past his osteo. diagnosis. He eats the same kibble as before his diagnosis and the only supplement is a fish oil capsule for his coat.

wow, hooray for you morgan :yay ..another for ember and i to draw inspiration from as we fight this battle too.

Guest tennesseegrey

Giving Tamoxafin for Osteosarcoma makes sense considering the cancer expresses an Epidermal Growth Factor which responds to TKI's in most cases. I'm currently on Tamoxafin myself and it's so cheap now so I will consider this drug for Caesar. I'll try to resist giving him mine, I'll get my vet to consider. Ha. I noticed Dr. Stark started his/her grey on Tamoxafin 1 year post dx, but my first grey had relapse by one year. Certainly I could start Caesar on Tamoxafin now.