Uncontrollable Diarrhea

Guest jupiterooos

Guest jupiterooos

Yesterday Angler had some diarrhea, so we fasted him at dinnertime. This morning I found he was dribbling a yellowish, mucus-y goo from his backside. I'm sitting here anxiously awaiting a call from the vet - but in the meantime, what do I do? What could it be?

Edited by jupiterooos

Guest EmilyAnne

Well that's good, because I know no appetite is classic of pancreatitis which would be an emergency. If he didn't turn his nose up at breakfast, then likely it is not that.

Guest jupiterooos

Well, he hasn't had breakfast yet, we were fasting him for yesterday's diarrhea. So I can't really say.

However, this morning he was all puppyish, playbowing and prancing around on his leash. So he isn't acting sick at all.

Guest IrskasMom

I would start with a Pepcid to elevate sour Stomach and then boiled Rice with lean Chicken or lean boiled Ground beef

and a little bit at a time to see if he reacts to the Food . If all else fails .....Vet :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Ohh I forgot Nutritional Yeast to boost Appetite

Guest jupiterooos

I should clarify that he didn't turn up his nose at breakfast yesterday. He hasn't eaten anything today. I did try offering him a smidgen of cheese, and he accepted that happily.

Guest SoulsMom

When Archie has bouts of colitis it's usually mucous-y and meds fix him up riteawayquik!

Now, if there's blood, that's a whole 'nother can of worms. Gotta keep an eye on that :unsure

Guest jupiterooos

I have to say I have never seen a dog who loves the vet so much. We walk in the front door and he's like "OMG! Look at all these new friends!"

So after a rectal exam (sorry, Ant) turns out it's just non-specific colitis, and he'll be eating potatoes and cooked ground beef for a few days. And then we might need to rethink his diet, since it may be too fatty. These guys are never simple, are they?

Guest Trentsmom
Yesterday Angler had some diarrhea, so we fasted him at dinnertime. This morning I found he was dribbling a yellowish, mucus-y goo from his backside. I'm sitting here anxiously awaiting a call from the vet - but in the meantime, what do I do? What could it be?

My Trent has bad D every time he eats something strange. It could be a part of a toy, or a food that didn't agree with him. Unless there is blood, you probably don't need to worry. I usually steam brown rice and chicken breast and feed that in small portions for a couple days. Make sure your dog is drinking, and if so, it will probably run it's course in a day or two. I took me a lot of money at the vet to learn not to worry too soon :) Also, yogurt and plain (unsweet) pumpkin seem to be stomach soothing.

Guest SoulsMom
I have to say I have never seen a dog who loves the vet so much. We walk in the front door and he's like "OMG! Look at all these new friends!"

So after a rectal exam (sorry, Ant) turns out it's just non-specific colitis, and he'll be eating potatoes and cooked ground beef for a few days. And then we might need to rethink his diet, since it may be too fatty. These guys are never simple, are they?

Soul is the same way. Even after his traumatic overnight stay at Tufts, when we went back on Friday he was like "Oh hi, great to see you!!!"

Did they give you any meds for the colitis?