Endoscopic Biopsy?

Guest zoolaine

Guest zoolaine

Sunny (non-grey) was diagnosed with protein losing enteropathy in July - since that time his albumin and protein levels are basically the same despite novel diet of venison and potato, and 2 different meds. He had an ultrasound which didn't really show anything - no masses/tumor, no thickening of the intestine walls. So now he is scheduled to have a partial thickness endoscopic biopsy on Monday. I have decided to switch him to a raw diet, but I am wondering if the biopsy is really necessary. I hate to pay $250-$300 when it isn't going to change his plan of care. Think I'm going to cancel but am worried that it would reveal something that could help him.

$250-$300! That seems really cheap. It is +$1000 in my area, unless we are talking about 2 different things. If it's an endoscopy for that price, heck, I'd get one for everyone in my family, man or beast.

My GH has other GI problems, not PLE. But switching to raw (modified for special needs) really helped my dog. I didn't get my gh scoped because he was so thin and weak that I didn't want to put him through such a long fast. And I didn't have +$1000 loose change. But now that my dog is stable, at a good weight and able to withstand some fasting, I might do it if it were cheaper.

We had the endoscopic biopsy done on Walter, along with an utrasound. It did help to isolate exactly what kind of PLE he had (there are a few different kinds) and also the utrasound was to rule out any mass that might be there. The cost for us was in the range of $2000.

Do I really think it helped Walter? Not really, but I don't want to tell you what to do. In your case it may save your dogs life and for the cost you indicated, I would do it. We lost our sweet Walter 4 months later to what we think was intestinal cancer but we will never really know for sure. When he was at the emergency the last few days before he passed they asked if we wanted to do another scope, we declined.

Guest zoolaine

Seems like I'm getting a bargain then at the $250-$300. I guess I will go ahead and do it on Monday. May be a waste of money but I would feel terrible if I didn't do it and later found out it would have helped him - after all he's my Sunny Bunny :P

Good article here on PLE and the value of different diagnostic procedures: http://www.vin.com/proceedings/Proceedings...7&O=Generic

Hugs and best luck with your pupper.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest zoolaine
Good article here on PLE and the value of different diagnostic procedures: http://www.vin.com/proceedings/Proceedings...7&O=Generic

Hugs and best luck with your pupper.

Thanks for the article. I am going to go ahead and have it done on Monday. I feel like I'm just spinning my wheels - and emptying my wallet - and not getting anything done for him. Very frustrating.

Hi,

Am assuming he is losing protein via his gut....or is it through his urine or both?

If he is losing it via his gut the scoping will tell them if there is inflamation...what part of his gut is affected and what type. All this will direct them on what medication(s) to use to help him. It maybe malabsorption or maldigestion. The TLI/FOL/B12 bloodwork test will tell more. TLI result tells you if he is releasing enough enzymes via the pancreas to digest food.....low FOL and/or B12 are absorption issues.

Please see the thread on Azathioprine....my Stevie saw a great doctor and he gave us a whole new direction so he has a chance to get better...he also suffers from PLE.

The ultrasound would show masses/tumors....it's not advised to start pred or any other steroid until you have ruled masses/tumors as a possibility.

Good luck!!

Guest zoolaine

Just picked Sunny up from his endoscopy and according to the vet, "his small intestine doesn't look normal at all". I about started crying when he said that. The biopsy goes to Washington State University so probably won't get results til the end of the week.

All fingers, paws, and toes crossed that the biopsy shows something treatable. I know how frightened and sad you must be feeling. Scritchies to your sweet pupper.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.