Bilirubin

Guest EaglesMom

Guest EaglesMom

Hi!

I got the blood results back in my 9 year old grey, the vet told me his bilirubin level was 2.7 and that was high and we should re-check his urine.

I know it is normal for a male to have some bilirubin, but what is considered normal?

Thanks!

Becky

Guest EaglesMom
Hi!

I got the blood results back in my 9 year old grey, the vet told me his bilirubin level was 2.7 and that was high and we should re-check his urine.

I know it is normal for a male to have some bilirubin, but what is considered normal?

Thanks!

Becky

I asked them to fax me the results, both the total and the direct bilirubin are 0.2 (which is normal) what they are considering high is the TCo2 which is 26.

Any thoughts on this?

Just noticed your 2nd post.

TCO2 largely represents the bicarbonate in the blood since most CO2 in the body is in that form. CO2 levels in the blood are influenced by kidney and lung function. The kidneys are mainly responsible for maintaining the normal bicarbonate levels. With that being said, I am not entirely sure what the normal level is for a greyhound but I don't think that level is too high. I will see if I can find out....

Guest EaglesMom
Is he on any medications? Raw or kibble?

He takes .8 twice a day of thyroid meds and I give him 1/2 teaspoon of get up and go. He eats kibble.

So was his tCO2 (bicarbonate) 27? Normal at our lab is 17-24. A level of 27 wouldn't be overly concerning but I would recheck the level in a couple of weeks. If ti was persistently high or getting higher then I'd consider working thingis up further.

Bill

Lady

Bella and Sky at the bridge

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." -Anabele France

FeemanSiggy1.jpg