Leflunomide

Guest crazy4greys

Guest crazy4greys

Does anyone else here buy it or has bought it for their greyhound? Becky, the greyhound puppy who has immune mediated poly-arthritis has to take this for her treatment.

Does anyone know where to get it cheaper than $140 at the Walmart pharmacy?

I have no experience with it but I do know that there are people here who are dealing with IMPA. Hopefully they'll see this. I'm not sure, but I think Shanti's mom dealt with this with Shanti

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

My iggy is on leflumonide, managed by Dr. Sisson at Angell. She has immune mediated polyarthritis, dx'd Feb. 2008. Was on steroids x 6 months. Tried to introduce Imuran (azathioprine) a few months in, with goal of getting her off steroids sooner due to problems with kidney disease). No go - developed drug induced hepatitis and was very ill for a couple of weeks. Lexi's coming to the end of a 3-month taper of methylprednisolone, and hoping testing will show that she's at a therapeutic level of leflumonide.

Angell sells leflumonide for the cheapest price around: $.88/tab. They can mail a Rx to you. I can't find any pharmacies able to meet that price.

So far, Lexi hasn't demonstrated any side effects. She had a CBC and profile done 2 weeks after starting, then again in 2 weeks, when she had a leflumonide level drawn and mailed down to him, where it's sent to a specialty lab

Jordan

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

Guest LovesDoggies

Bruce, my greyhound with GME, is also treated by Dr. Sisson at Angell. He has been on leflunomide since March. He takes 6 pills per day.

How many pills are you getting in your Walmart prescription for $140?

Guest crazy4greys
Bruce, my greyhound with GME, is also treated by Dr. Sisson at Angell. He has been on leflunomide since March. He takes 6 pills per day.

How many pills are you getting in your Walmart prescription for $140?

I believe it is only 15, because the bill for a month is about $300!

My iggy is on leflumonide, managed by Dr. Sisson at Angell. She has immune mediated polyarthritis, dx'd Feb. 2008. Was on steroids x 6 months. Tried to introduce Imuran (azathioprine) a few months in, with goal of getting her off steroids sooner due to problems with kidney disease). No go - developed drug induced hepatitis and was very ill for a couple of weeks. Lexi's coming to the end of a 3-month taper of methylprednisolone, and hoping testing will show that she's at a therapeutic level of leflumonide.

Angell sells leflumonide for the cheapest price around: $.88/tab. They can mail a Rx to you. I can't find any pharmacies able to meet that price.

So far, Lexi hasn't demonstrated any side effects. She had a CBC and profile done 2 weeks after starting, then again in 2 weeks, when she had a leflumonide level drawn and mailed down to him, where it's sent to a specialty lab

Jordan

That is where Becky goes :huh I wonder why they don't give them to us at that price. I will have to let her foster mom know that. Thank you.

Guest LovesDoggies

I think we just got 360 pills for a little over $300! That will be a huge savings for you. I'm guessing the foster mom assumed the prescription would be less expensive at Walmart, so just had it filled there. For whatever reason, Angell has leflunomide available at the lowest price. We also have them shipped directly to our home from Angell for about $6 per shipment.

Edited by LovesDoggies

Is Bruce in remission? Dr. Sisson is brilliant. (Oops, sorry, don't mean to swipe the thread!)

>>>>That is where Becky goes :huh I wonder why they don't give them to us at that price. I will have to >>>>let her foster mom know that. Thank you.

Wha??? That's awfully bizarre!! I started shopping around online for prices, when Dr. Sisson told me that I wouldn't be able to get a better deal than Angell was offering, which is the $.88/tab. Lexi is now on 40mg/day (two 20mg tabs) and I just received 120 tabs for 2 months for around $100.

What dose is Becky on? I'd definitely contact the pharmacy and the treating vet's office to find out what's going on. The only thing I could think of is that dogs being treated by Dr. Sisson receive a discounted price because he's doing a study?!? I can certainly ask him next time I talk with him.

The prices I found online ranged from around $1.40 up to $4.00/pill. Most were in the $2 range.

I think we just got 360 pills for a little over $300! That will be a huge savings for you. I'm guessing the foster mom assumed the prescription would be less expensive at Walmart, so just had it filled there. For whatever reason, Angell has leflunomide available at the lowest price. We also have them shipped directly to our home from Angell for about $6 per shipment.

I agree with everything LovesDoggies has to say. I, too, assumed Angell would be far more expensive but apparently they were able to cut a great deal with the manufacturer. Leflumonide (brand name Arava) is also available generic. Because I'm in NH, I, too, have them ship direct, and you can put the order in online (but then they have to call you to get your credit card info -- strange set-up but they don't have a secure website). Honestly, if I hadn't mentioned the pricing to Dr. Sisson, I wouldn't have known Angell would offer such a great deal.

Is Becky being followed by Internal Medicine?

Jordan

Guest crazy4greys

She called all the local pharmacies and Walmart was the cheapest. I know she had the prescription in her hand when she went to Walmart to get it filled the first time. That is very odd that Angell wouldn't fill it there.

I am not sure about the Internal Medicine.

She did run through the back yard for the first time the other day in 3 months! :D:yay

Guest crazy4greys

So, Becky's foster mom called Angell today. They said, oh yeah, we have that here. :huh It will cost $7.00 to ship the meds to you.

I can't believe they didn't tell us that before! We have spent over $500 on her meds the past month and a half when we could have spent only $40! :angry: