Has Anyone Seen Something Like This?

Guest LolasMom

Guest LolasMom

My very close friend's pup, Luke has been dealing with this lump on his back leg for the past six weeks. X-rays show nothing, 2 needle aspirates look good but show blood in the area. The vet told her today that she wants to go in surgically to have a look at what he could be dealing with. Needless to say, my friend is sick with worry. I'm not familiar with something like this but I know that many of you have seen it all. Any and all thoughts would be very greatly appreciated.

Lukesfoot3.jpg

Lukesfoot2.jpg

LukesFoot1.jpg

It looks like an abcess (like if there was a foreign body in there), but you wouldn't think that would be hard for the Vet to diagnose. Has it changed size? What is the consistency of it? Hard, spongy, liquidy, meaty...?

Rugrat's Rebel (Simon) 09/03/1995-03/22/2010, Silly Savannah 05/14/1995-02/13/2009, Isabella de Moreau the Sloughi 05/15/1993-10/14/2008, Hammy the IG 06/11/04 and ChiChi the Chihuahua 2003

Guest LolasMom
The first thing that comes to my mind is an insect bite, spider bite, something like that. Especially if it is not bone related.

The only thing is that it's been there for so long.

It looks like an abscess (like if there was a foreign body in there), but you wouldn't think that would be hard for the Vet to diagnose. Has it changed size? What is the consistency of it? Hard, spongy, liquidy, meaty...?

I know what you mean. I though maybe a fox tail.

It got harder and a bit smaller for a week or so and then got larger (and seemingly more filled with blood) again. At this point, I'd say harder in the center and spongier in the surrounding area.

You know, I guess I'd want to try some antibiotics and maybe an x-ray before I started cutting things open to see what there was.

That being said, and I know this is totally contradictory to what I just said, but I've known two GH's with chronic foot problems that turned out to be foreign objects - one was glass from a light bulb and one was some kind of plant matter. Both of those were only figured out with exploratory surgery because the foreign matter didn't show up on x-ray. I've also known two GH's with encapsulated cysts in the foot that also had to be removed surgically - one several times as it kept coming back. All four of these pups were subjected to long, drawn-out processes in which surgery was the last resort and ended up being the only thing that finally helped.

Rugrat's Rebel (Simon) 09/03/1995-03/22/2010, Silly Savannah 05/14/1995-02/13/2009, Isabella de Moreau the Sloughi 05/15/1993-10/14/2008, Hammy the IG 06/11/04 and ChiChi the Chihuahua 2003

Guest LolasMom

Elizabeth, thank you so much! I called my friend and read her your response. She was so relieved just to have your perspective. The family is going on a trip for the next week and they've scheduled exploratory surgery for when they return (they've done x-rays that look fine). I'll report back as soon as I hear anything. Thank you again! :wub: