Still Not Formed Poops

ok ty will go back to the bland diet. they dont tell ya when ya adopt a grey how expensive and worrisome they can be....lol

on a lighter note..this morning..i wish i had a pic she went out in the backyard found a pile of leaves and layed down right in the middle of them. it was picture perfect. Of course when ya go inside and get the camera she gets up..lol.

i think my stomach is upset now thinking about her poor stomach..must be a mother's love huh??

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

Guest SoulsMom

I hear ya, I was so stressed out when Soul was going through it . . . . and so busy cooking for him everynight. When he went on the 2nd round of Panacur he had soft bloody poop on the day before I started it. Day one and two on the Panacur it was liquid. Day three was the last dose, but I kept him on a bland diet until day six, when his poops dramatically improved. Through all of it he was his happy, goofy, normal self, so that eased my worries a bit . . .

I just talked to the vet again. he said give bland diet over the weekend and if necessary try a lil immodioum. The more we talked he thins it was stressed induced and a problem in her small intestine not large. he said next week if she still not better he will give her albone (spelling) it is a sulfa drug. He said i can also look into probiotics for her. Funny, cause that is what i take. I am in remission for coloitis. The poor dog may share my affliction. I really appreciate everyones helpful hints. This site is so helpful and resourceful. I also told the vet I am concerned cause we are taking her back to the kennel in two weeks. he thinks it wasnt the kennel but stress. The kennel is extremely clean. The people there are germaphobs..lol. I hope she gets better soon cause she does therapy work and starting hospice work soon. The vet said when a dog poops a lot more frequently than normal that is from the large intestine. she is going the same amount but it is just watery. He said that is the small intestine. Anyone out there know the difference? I am not a medical person.

ty

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

Guest LindsaySF

The vet is talking about small intestine diarrhea vs large intestine diarrhea. Based on the frequency and amount, you can usually pinpoint where the problem is.

If this is indeed stress-induced, I would rethink kenneling her again. Is there a friend you can have watch her while you are away? Maybe you can find another Greyhound owner that can pet-sit?

I just talked to the vet again. he said give bland diet over the weekend and if necessary try a lil immodioum. The more we talked he thins it was stressed induced and a problem in her small intestine not large. he said next week if she still not better he will give her albone (spelling) it is a sulfa drug. He said i can also look into probiotics for her. Funny, cause that is what i take. I am in remission for coloitis. The poor dog may share my affliction. I really appreciate everyones helpful hints. This site is so helpful and resourceful. I also told the vet I am concerned cause we are taking her back to the kennel in two weeks. he thinks it wasnt the kennel but stress. The kennel is extremely clean. The people there are germaphobs..lol. I hope she gets better soon cause she does therapy work and starting hospice work soon. The vet said when a dog poops a lot more frequently than normal that is from the large intestine. she is going the same amount but it is just watery. He said that is the small intestine. Anyone out there know the difference? I am not a medical person.

ty

The final stage of digestion- in the large intestine- is de-watering the stool. If this does not occur, then the material is pretty much unchanged from the small intestine.

From my own perspective, BTW, I have Crohn's. I've been managing it by taking out certain elements of the diet; although much more resistant to dietary management, Lutz wrote a book on the subject from 30-40 years of experience as a gastroenterologist. If you can get it locally, I'd recommend "Life Without Bread." He notes it can take as long as 6 years to entirely resolve it, but that colitis responds well to his dietary recommendations.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

My greyhound had/has (it's under control now) SIBO - Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth. I suspect it was brought on by intestinal parasites, probably Whipworm. I completely eliminated carbs, not just grains, but all carbs, from his diet and that pretty much fixed it.

mand...what do you feed him?

Well, it was a process. I began feeding him bland home cooked -- meat & carbs, about 50/50. I noticed that he did much better with more meat, fewer carbs, so I gradually reduced the carb portion until he was getting just cooked meat, well drained of fat, and bone meal added for calcium. Basiscally, it was the raw diet, but cooked. I didn't want to do raw, and neither did the dog. But he wasn't doing that great on cooked, so I tried raw meat & bone, lean cuts, and that did the trick. My greyhound was in really rough shape. Yours may not need such an extreme diet. Although raw is much easier and cheaper than cooked.