Bugs!

Guest Peanut

Sassy has "bugs." Seriously... they are driving us all a little crazy. We've only seen them on her and they are certainly not fleas or ticks. I'm completely clueless to what they are. Because she is 9 1/2 and her immune system is some what compromised, I'm very hesitant to treat with Frontline, unless I have to. DBF has been walking her in the woods behind our house. It is a vacant lot with an old train track running through out. There is an apple tree on the lot with fallen fruit that the critters have eaten some of. They look kinda like gnats....

Bug Description:

Greenish brown

Wings

Long (1/4 inch maybe)

Scurries and Flies

Symptoms: Driving her crazy (and us). She is biting at them or itching at her collar. She has no flea dirt and no bite marks.

What we've tried:

A mist of water, pure lavender oil drops, and eucalyptus drops.

Outcome:

Itching is less

She smells good. :)

What could it be??? What other natural methods can I try??? I'm going to take her to the dog spa for a do it yourself bath on Thursday. They are closed until then and we don't have a place to give her a bath at home.

Guest GreytMuse

I have no clue what is bothering your sweet pup, but I did find this bug ID website that has a narrowing down sort of tool to use. Maybe it can help??? Good luck!!

Edited to add: That site also has a forum with amateur bug nerds who might be able to help if you have a picture of the bugs.

Edited by GreytMuse

Guest longdogs

It sounds like she has hippoboscid flies, otherwise known as louse-flies or keds. Some sorts are winged, others remove their wings when they find a host. These are amazingly tough creatures, grip like crazy and are almost uncrushable. I posted earlier about these in the link below. They don't normally bite humans but there is nothing creepier than one of these inside your clothes or in your hair. No wonder Sassy is being driven crazy if this is what they are.

My first guess at treatment would be to use Revolution or Frontline Plus. These are probably less toxic to your dog than lavender or eucalyptus oils. A puppy-safe flea-powder puffer might also work. To collect them from birds and mammals in the field we used to put the creature into a plastic bag with just its head exposed, then drop in a cotton ball soaked in ether. We could then dislodge the blighters with a comb or a good shake.

I'd be really interested to know if my guess is correct.

Link

It does sound a bit like louse-flies.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.js...tm/bc/71712.htm

Judging by the Internet, opinions differ as to the safety of permethrin when used with greyhounds. But a regular pyrethrin spray (which would be safe for greys) might work.

Frontline would be more convenient and probably just as safe. Otherwise, hand-pick and immerse in alcohol to kill. Just a flying guess, but maybe a "waterless" shampoo might knock them back; asphyxiation with surfactants can really do a number on flies.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Okay, seriously we have no idea what bug it is. I ended up treating her with Frontline Plus. We've used the lavender oil water mist on the beds. I brought her to the groomer and picked her up at lunch today --- not a bug on her! I typically don't bring her to the groomer, but didn't want to wait until Saturday. What the groomer said is the fleas are "mutant" this year...

Who knows!

OOoooooooh!! If it's hippoboscids, do you think you might be able to collect some??? That'd be COOL!!!

If you do, put them in alcohol in a little jar or pill box & I'll figure out how to get them from you...

Edited by ozgirl2

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge