I Found 2 Small Ticks On My Dog

Guest jaxmax

We live in the city and barely make it out to the country so I decided not to give Jax the Lyme vaccine.

We were in the country this weekend and went for a walk on a path through a field. Before we got in the car we noticed a small tick moving on his neck and took it off. When we got home 5 hours later I completely examined him and found another tick that I have saved in a bag. Neither of the ticks were attached to his skin. I was wondering what other peoples experiences are with ticks and whether you would get him tested and how you feel about the lyme vaccine. Next summer we will be spending a lot of time in the country so I am considering giving him the vaccine before that. Thanks for any words on this matter.

Same thing happened to us last weekend. We were away, and walking the dogs near forests....not IN them, but on the outskirts (my dad's hunting camp). We found two ticks on Buddy, and two on Rascal. They were NOT attached, and one was even dead. Thank GOD for Frontline, which I had applied to them before we went.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Same thing happened to us last weekend. We were away, and walking the dogs near forests....not IN them, but on the outskirts (my dad's hunting camp). We found two ticks on Buddy, and two on Rascal. They were NOT attached, and one was even dead. Thank GOD for Frontline, which I had applied to them before we went.

What is Frontline?

I think you were just lucky; Frontline does NOT repel ticks, and they have to be sucking the blood for quite a while for it to kill them! Check the insert literature.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

What is Frontline?

Frontline is a flea and tick medication.

I think you were just lucky; Frontline does NOT repel ticks, and they have to be sucking the blood for quite a while for it to kill them! Check the insert literature.

:eek:eek I guess we ARE lucky!! My best friend lost one of her greyhounds a year ago from a TBD, and it really scares me to think of that happening to my dogs....her girl died a rather awful death, and my friend was right by her side....very traumatic for her, too....

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.