Experienced Tripod Mom/dads- A Question

RobinM

We are at day 16 post amputation and just yesterday for the 1st time, Polli starting licking the incision. She had had coverage on her for over a week so she couldn't get to it. At first the vet had a compression sweater ( for no bruising) and then I had a tee shirt on her.

I put on another tee shirt this evening because she is licking and it is turning pink. It's not inflammed. Just pink from licking.

I know it's normal for them to want to lick. How long should I get the shirt on or shouldn't I?

She has desolvable stitches.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest IrskasMom

I don't have Advice and talk out of Experience, but thought it could not hurt to leave the the T Shirt on until the Incision is

healed totaly . Like I said I have no Experience in that. Please give that Girl Polli loads of Hugs from me :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

Yes, you can leave the T-shirt on until the incision is totally healed. I'd get it checked, though - when Pumpkin had surgery on her leg she didn't mess with the incision for about two weeks and then started licking it. Turns out she did have a little infection there - and it was just pink too. A course of antibiotics fixed it right up. Amputation incisions can take awhile to heal too - took JC's about a month.

Guest HeatherDemps

Dempsey was always a licker- his feet, legs, couch, whatever. :) I kept the t-shirt on him at all times for awhile. Then as he was healing, I'd take it off when I was at home and could keep an eye on him and stop him if he started licking. His staples came out 2 weeks after the surgery and I know it was a week or two later before he stopped messing with it.

I called the vet this morning and spoke to the tech. He said he was a little concerned but being that "regular" stitches come out @ 2 weeks and we are at 17 days, if the stitches seem to be bothering her we could bring her in tomorrow to have them removed. The whole idea of the desolvable was so we would not have to bring her in until her 2nd chemo on Nov. 3. The vet knows how much the greyhounds stress so they wanted to avoid another visit if possible. I have a tighter shirt on her (not tight, just not baggy) so hopefully this should do the trick and I will make my decision tomorrow after work whether or not to remove the stitches.

Tomorrow Dh will be back to work the whole day, 1st time since pre amp.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Guest chubbster
It could be a little itchy too. I know when I have a bad cut that is healing, it itches a little.

143_4339.jpg

Phoenix didn't really seem to lick much...unless he did it when we wern't home. He didn't have a tee-shirt, he wore one of those big collars.

This is a pic of him three days after surgery and his 1st day home.

~judy

Edited by chubbster

Guest EMcElfresh

I am not an experienced tripod owner, but I am experienced with dog stitches, is it possible that you could take them out yourself? I use a pair of cuticle scissors and tweezers and gently take each stitch out individually. When our greyhound group sends spayed/neutered pups to their foster homes - each of us was taught how to take non-dissolving stitches out - so the dog wouldn't have to go back to the vet... just a thought, only if you are comfortable.

I am not an experienced tripod owner, but I am experienced with dog stitches, is it possible that you could take them out yourself? I use a pair of cuticle scissors and tweezers and gently take each stitch out individually. When our greyhound group sends spayed/neutered pups to their foster homes - each of us was taught how to take non-dissolving stitches out - so the dog wouldn't have to go back to the vet... just a thought, only if you are comfortable.

These are dissolving, but no, I would not feel comfortable taking them out. i did speak to the vet and she wasn't too concerned about the licking, being that we are at day 18 today. She said, it's healed. I could bring her in to remove them or wait until her #2 chemo on Monday and she will take them out. In the meantime, i am keeping the shirt on and she said I could put neosporin on to keep it moist which should give a bit of relief. I hope so!

It could be a little itchy too. I know when I have a bad cut that is healing, it itches a little.

143_4339.jpg

Phoenix didn't really seem to lick much...unless he did it when we wern't home. He didn't have a tee-shirt, he wore one of those big collars.

~judy

Oh Phoenix-

:wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

I see him and I cry. Good tears and knowing tears. What a story.

Guest chubbster

These are dissolving, but no, I would not feel comfortable taking them out. i did speak to the vet and she wasn't too concerned about the licking, being that we are at day 18 today. She said, it's healed. I could bring her in to remove them or wait until her #2 chemo on Monday and she will take them out. In the meantime, i am keeping the shirt on and she said I could put neosporin on to keep it moist which should give a bit of relief. I hope so!

143_4339.jpg

~judy

Oh Phoenix-

:wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

I see him and I cry. Good tears and knowing tears. What a story.

Guest chubbster

Robin,

Phoenix did have his stitches removed on day 14 (he had non-dissolvable), and we noticed a big difference in his behavior after that. She just might feel itchy.

Following Polli's story brings back what we went through with Phoenix and his surgery and recovery...an amazing journey.

Today, 5 months later, I watched in amazement as Phoenix and Chubbs were playing tug of war over a stuffie.

Last night, Phoenix marched 1 1/2 miles (and 1 and 1/2 miles back) in our local Halloween Parade, with 6 other 4 four legged greys. He was dressed up as R2D2, another very famous tripod!!! (Chubbs was C3P0).

On a lighter note, Phoenix sat down to begin to scratch what ever was itching him, except it happend to be on the right side of his head. He bent his head down and lifted the right side of his butt up, and moved it like he was scratching. A some point he seemed to realize that the itch wasn't being scratched..he just sort of looked at me as if to say..."now what do I do?"

On the same evening, he was lying down as I was rubbing his belly. I noticed that his "stump" was quivering. I thought that he was cold until I realized and I had hit his tickle spot, and that if he had a leg, it would have been moving up and down.

Congrats to Polli on her excursion upstair. She's on her way.

Ya done good, Robin. Hang in there.

~judy

I think I took out Jax's stiches. I take all the stiches and staples out. I live 45 miles away from the vet: so anything I can do on my own I will do!

Jax was never a licker: But Boo Boo is. I have always let them lick for the most part. They seem to know what they are doing. If it looks like they are starting to do some damage, I will put a shirt or something on them. Don't worry to much. I think pink is probably good: red would be bad. JMHO

Sheila and CO
www.greyacres.com