Liquid Bandage

Guest oldNELLIE

Guest oldNELLIE

Hi everyone!

Miss Nellie has given herself a new, and very large, hot-spot :(

We have a liquid bandage from the vet, that cost us about $20 and it is almost gone (this isn't the first time she has done this!)

So, I am wondering if the bandaid brand (for people) at the drug store is the same thing. I have not looked at the price, but I can't imagine it is more than what the vet gave us.

I know people give their dogs other human medicines, but I just want to make sure.

Also, does anyone else have any experience / suggestions on how to better deal with this? She does it most often when something throws off her routine. This time it was the fact that my husband was out of town (I was home). She did it at night while I was sleeping and couldn't correct her. Smart cookie! :rolleyes:

Guest koko9281
Hi everyone!

Miss Nellie has given herself a new, and very large, hot-spot :(

We have a liquid bandage from the vet, that cost us about $20 and it is almost gone (this isn't the first time she has done this!)

So, I am wondering if the bandaid brand (for people) at the drug store is the same thing. I have not looked at the price, but I can't imagine it is more than what the vet gave us.

I know people give their dogs other human medicines, but I just want to make sure.

Also, does anyone else have any experience / suggestions on how to better deal with this? She does it most often when something throws off her routine. This time it was the fact that my husband was out of town (I was home). She did it at night while I was sleeping and couldn't correct her. Smart cookie! :rolleyes:

I used New Skin on a dog once with TERRIBLE results. Beware. Call your vet first!

I've heard of some kind of salt water treatment that helps a lot. Can't remember what it's called exactly....

I've used New Skin several times, same thing as Liquid Bandage. I have found that it works well on a small wound, but doesn't seal well on a larger one. It's much cheaper that 20.00. I'm not sure but I think the salt water treatment you're speaking of is just a salene solution

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest R3GREYS

We've been using a product that we got at Tractor Supply. It is called Cut-Heal wound spray. It works great on small cuts and scrapes. Heals fast. It contains crude fish oil,raw linseed oil, tea tree oil and Balsam of fir. Smells like Pine Sol. You sray it on before a walk or when the dog will be walking around to give it a chance to dry. It's sticky at first and then dries. The dogs don't lick it off, at least mine don't. We've been using this for a year with good results. You can also check it out and get it on line at

www.cut-heal.com

John

Guest oldNELLIE

I called the vet and got the low-down in case anyone is interested!

She said the "people version" is fine, it is just not as "strong" ~ which makes sense since most humans wouldn't be obsessively licking their wounds (at least I hope not! :) )

Anyway, she said it is possible to have a reaction to anything, so to always watch the first time you use one, so you can wash it off if necessary.

Hope the info helps others, too!

Guest RocketDog

I got a bottle of spray-on liquid bandage, and I've used it with good success on little scrapes. I tried it on the lick granuloma Cassie has on her foreleg (about the circumference of a nickel) and it didn't do much - I just use bacitracin, gauze and vetwrap to keep the wound covered