What Type Of Wound Is It?

Guest katia

FallTess's wound 046.jpg

FallTess's wound 047.jpg

Hello:

I am new to this forum and I am looking for information about this wound that my greyhound has on her left leg. Thank you.

Guest longdogs

It looks like a bite or other puncture wound. It is hard to make out where it is, how large it is, or how deep it has penetrated. If it is small and shallow enough that you can be sure of flushing it, I would flush it thoroughly with saline or clean water from from a squirt bottle and then apply some Betadine or similar. If you believe the wound is too deep to clean properly and probably a bite, you should visit a vet. Deep bites get infected very easily. It doesn't look too bad.

Whatever it started as, it looks as if it could now be a 'lick granuloma'. Hard to tell for sure because the pic is a little blurry.. it could also be a small puncture (like a bite) or even a tumour.

When a dog gets a wound - maybe something like a small tear from a nail, branch, wire, or whatever, or a puncture from a tooth - and it's not stitched or treated by a vet, it will begin to heal from the outside inwards. That's fine, but then they'll often stop it healing effectively by licking at it too much. When that happens, the healing tissue overcompensates and becomes lumpy, pink and 'grainy' looking.

It that's what it is, it won't heal until she stops licking at it. You can try covering it with something loose. I don't know where on the leg it is, by maybe you can put a t-shirt on her with her legs in the sleeves? Or is it her knee?

Might be as well to let a vet take a look, though.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

http://s396.photobucket.com/albums/pp43/to...llTessswound048

Thank you for answering to my question. I did take my grey to the vet, she took a sample from the wound, but at that time it was difficult to distinguish a particular type of cells. The vet prescribed a round of antibiotics to rule out the possibility of a tumor which for me it is a big concern, and that was the main reason for me to come to Greytalk, knowing that this breed unfortunately is very prone to malignancies. I cleaned the wound with normal saline, applied a dab of neosporin, covered it with a piece of gauze and secured it with hypafix tape. Tess (my baby) is very good keeping the dressing in place, and I am hopping that this wound resolves in a very positive way. I really appreciated your input, since I never have seen anything like it. I attached another picture with the localization of the problem.

Whatever it started as, it looks as if it could now be a 'lick granuloma'. Hard to tell for sure because the pic is a little blurry.. it could also be a small puncture (like a bite) or even a tumour.

When a dog gets a wound - maybe something like a small tear from a nail, branch, wire, or whatever, or a puncture from a tooth - and it's not stitched or treated by a vet, it will begin to heal from the outside inwards. That's fine, but then they'll often stop it healing effectively by licking at it too much. When that happens, the healing tissue overcompensates and becomes lumpy, pink and 'grainy' looking.

It that's what it is, it won't heal until she stops licking at it. You can try covering it with something loose. I don't know where on the leg it is, by maybe you can put a t-shirt on her with her legs in the sleeves? Or is it her knee?

Might be as well to let a vet take a look, though.

http://s396.photobucket.com/albums/pp43/to...nt=IMG_4384.jpg

As I mentioned to Silverfish I am waiting for this nasty wound to be resolved with the prescribed antibiotics. I just had to inquire about the wound, and Greytalk was like the normal way to go. I did not get dissapointed, and I really appreciate your input. I am feeling much better and thank you again.

quote name='longdogs' date='Oct 21 2008, 12:56 AM' post='3644082']

It looks like a bite or other puncture wound. It is hard to make out where it is, how large it is, or how deep it has penetrated. If it is small and shallow enough that you can be sure of flushing it, I would flush it thoroughly with saline or clean water from from a squirt bottle and then apply some Betadine or similar. If you believe the wound is too deep to clean properly and probably a bite, you should visit a vet. Deep bites get infected very easily. It doesn't look too bad.

Is it a lump? It looks lumpy from what I can tell from the picture. If it is a lump, it is a good idea to have a vet take a look and it sounds like you have done that. Please update on the results if you can. Hopefully it resolves soon. :goodluck