Is Licking Always Bad?

Guest SusanP

Spinner's had his foot in a bandage for something like 3 weeks now after his nail was pulled out and the bone broken off his little toe. It's sort of healed, and I wish he could do without the bandage (because it falls off several times a day), but whenever it comes off, he licks and licks and licks, even growling at me if I try to move his head to rebandage. (I give him a treat to distract him so I can rebandage). The toe is mostly healed but still looks a little raw. Is the licking still a problem? Should I just let him go barefoot and see how it goes? Or back on with the bandage?

When Brogan had his toe amputated, the vet took the bandage off after a few days & allowed him to lick all the dried blood off & I think it actually soothed Brogan to take care of the mild discomfort...Once it was cleaned, my vet wrapped it back up.

No, I think allowing them to clean it themselves IN MODERATION is just fine.

Usually if any of ours have a booboo, I will let them take care of it. The only time I intervene is if they're licking it to the point of making it worse.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest boondog
No, I think allowing them to clean it themselves IN MODERATION is just fine.

Usually if any of ours have a booboo, I will let them take care of it. The only time I intervene is if they're licking it to the point of making it worse.

Ditto!