What Should I Do Now?

Guest SusanP

Early this week I took Zippy (age 10 and already a 1-yr cancer survivor--cartlidge tumor in her groin) to the vet with a good-sized, softish lump on her leg. The vet took an aspirate sample and saw round cells, but was not able to tell whether they were harmless ones or cancerous ones. So she opted to take a second aspirate sample and send it to a lab. I've been waiting all week for results, and late today they finally called, only to say the vet botched the sample and would have to redo it (at no charge).

At the time the vet took the aspirate sample, I spoke with her a second time, and what she said scared me. She said the harmless round cells usually don't occur in older dogs, and that some of the round cell cancers are really nasty and might require chemotherapy in addition to removal of the tumor. that made me wonder why we were bothering with the sample, as it sounded unlikely that Zippy's tumor is benign, but we went ahead. Really, the reason for the lab test was to make sure there was a reason to put Zippy through surgery.

To be on the safe side, I scheduled the surgery for next Thursday (with the vet who botched the sample, a newer vet in the practice, young, whom I know nothing about), figuring if the tumor was harmless, I could cancel the appt.

So now they want me to reschedule a lab sample and wait another week for results. Do I do it, or do I skip it and go directly to surgery? Do I keep the surgery appt with this vet (she had the first available surgery date) or do I wait a bit for one of the vets I am more confident about? And would I be within my rights to ask for a refund for the first lab sample if I decide not to redo it?

Does anyone know about this "round cell" business? What would you do if this were your pup? I'm getting really scared about this lump and taking too long to get it off of her.

I would opt to remove and send the lump to pathology. I was told that the lab would want a bigger sample anyway.

You could contact Dr Couto and ask him about round cells in older dogs.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

I just looked up round cell tumors in dogs online. After reading it, I think we need to get that tumor the heck off of her and ask questions later.

Is there any point in doing a cytology sample and getting results about the same time the surgery is done, or would a biopsy of the mass done after surgery yield better information?

I agree...get it outta there! :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I just looked up round cell tumors in dogs online. After reading it, I think we need to get that tumor the heck off of her and ask questions later.

Is there any point in doing a cytology sample and getting results about the same time the surgery is done, or would a biopsy of the mass done after surgery yield better information?

All of the vets in our practice recommended sending the mass for a complete picture. I know I told you this already, but it sounds an awful lot like the mass Foxy had removed. Even the bloody fluid. Her lump that returned this spring was clear fluid, which is why we opted to leave things alone at that time. Again, if you want me to call, just PM me.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Foxysmom, was Foxy's mass a mast cell tumor? That's what it sounds to me like this probably is. There are 3 grades. How on earth can they get a 3"+ margin around the tumor when it's on her spindly little leg and only about an inch below her elbow? And how long does something like that take to heal?

:(

Do you think I dare hold out for a vet who has operated on my dogs before? It might mean waiting several more days. I just don't know about this new vet, and if she didn't do the aspirate sample right and didn't realize it, might she also not have much surgical experience?

Would you ask for a refund of the first cytology sample? It was over $100 as I recall.

I would definitely ask for a refund on the sample -- you were charged for a service that wasn't performed.

Whether to take it off ... If you think it's going to have to come off eventually, now is as good a time as any. BUT. The advantage to having a cytology first is that if it isn't cancerous, nobody has to worry overmuch about getting clean margins (which can be a trick in a greyhound). So, 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

If you decide to have surgery without getting a good cytology first, I'd wait the extra couple days and go with the surgeon you know and trust. And if that makes you nervous, talk to him/her and see what he/she says about this other surgeon.

I don't think a couple days will make a difference.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.