Seniors Need Food Change

Guest 4gryhnds

Guest 4gryhnds

:colgate I know that this is redundant, but..............I am looking for the best dog food for a reasonable price. I have 4 greyhounds, and a limited budget. Right now I am feeding Purina Complete. Rocky (12), and Carson (9) are both on ID because of severe "D". My yard is finally looking "solid", but I think I should change food for the sake of the whole group. All of them are over 7 yrs, so I am thinking something senior. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks, Sue and the Crew

Guest jurishound

We have had good luck with Eukaneuba Adult Lamb and Rice - firm poop, even in the senior hound we adopted at the age of 12. From what I understand, "senior" food is usually not recommended for greyhounds unless they are overweight; they seem to need the calories in the regular food. Good luck!

Guest EmilyAnne

I have a 13 year old American Eskimo and a Greyhound/Coonhound mix who is approximately 9 or 10. I put a lot of effort and thought into feeding my dogs the absolute best. Neither are on senior kibble.

It's kinda hard to reccomend a food cause it's different for each hound, no one size fits all. Henry is on a special homecooked recipe because he has severe idiopathic epilepsy, allergies and is prone to diarrhea and vomiting.

Riley is on a lower fat grain free kibble (Wellness Core Reduced Fat) with gluten free homecooked brown rice added. I believe he needed the grain for digestion purposes, but needed gluten free cause he is prone to chronic ear infections. So far it's working for Riley.

I have heard good things about Costco's Kirkland brand dog food. Here's a thread on it~ http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php?showtopic=205659

Guest LoveSeniorGreys

I have tried different "Senior" foods and found that my greys (13,11,7) all did much better eating quality adult formulas. We feed Eagle Pack Holistic dry food and everyone is doing very well. :gh_lay

Guest Grhndad

I wouldn't change to a Senior food. All of the seniors I've had(4 at the bridge ages 12+ to almost 14 and currently have an 11 yr old and a 9 yr old) have done greyt on their normal adult food, Pro Plan beef and rice.

I have tried different "Senior" foods and found that my greys (13,11,7) all did much better eating quality adult formulas. We feed Eagle Pack Holistic dry food and everyone is doing very well. :gh_lay

I second that! Unless there's a specific reason your vet suggests it, I never use a senior kibble. I want them to have adequate protein and fat to maintain their weight and muscle mass, and I want a good food that provides usable energy with little waste (read: poop). My whole pack (oldest is 14) is also on Eagle Pack Holistic Select, and are happy campers. :P

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg