Recipes

Guest lauri

Someone on here had a blog or website that had recipes for homecooked dog food. I want to use very little or no carbs as far as grains, potatos and the such.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Guest Greensleeves

Gosh, there are tons--and it can be hard to know if info on the Internet is as accurate and correct as you want it to be for something like food for our pets. You might try the books HOME-PREPARED DOG & CAT DIETS by veterinary nutitrionist Dr. Donald Stromberg (which is primarily therapeutic diets for disease control) or BARKER'S GRUB: EASY, WHOLESOME, HOME-COOKING FOR DOGS by Rudi Edalati, canine caterer (she seems to know her stuff too).

Or, try the Food & Dietary forum here on the boards. I know the folks here had some great recipes.

Many of the standard recipes, including Strombeck's, include lots of carbs. If you are trying to eliminate carbs, which worked beautifully for my greyhound with GI problems similar to yours, then you need to feed only meat & bone (if fed raw) or meat and calcium replacement (to replace bone) if feeding cooked.

I started by feeding my SIBO dog very lean cooked meat and bone meal, but eventually switched to raw. Didn't want to do raw, but he digested the raw meat & bone so much better than cooked. It's counterintuitive, that a dog with bacterial overgrowth would digest raw better than cooked meat, but it was our experience, and the experience of many others whose dogs had terrible GI problems.

http://www.dogaware.com/ is a great place to start researching. Both cooked and raw diets for dogs with various health problems are discussed.

Batman ate a lot of this, with minor variations, when he was sick.

@ 3 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts

@ 1.5 lbs. ground beef

4-5 eggs with shells (shells microwaved and powdered)

@ 1 cup frozen spinach

@ 1/2 cup frozen peas, cooked and PUREED

2-3 tablespoons blackstrap molasses

2-3 teaspoons powdered kelp (optional)

Stir it all together and cook on stovetop or as a loaf. I had to puree everything for Batman but if Miles doesn't need smooth food, you could just chop the chicken a bit. Or use chicken tenders -- sometimes my store has those cheaper than breasts. I tossed in a few chicken livers at times.

For B I kept the chicken:beef ratio right around 2:1 so it wouldn't get too fatty and upset his stomach.

The pureed peas are for fiber. Never had any results from pumpkin here, but pureed peas worked.

Good luck with your boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.