Hydrogen Peroxide Works!

cello

Lady ate the plastic squeaker out of a plush toy tonight. I was right there when she did it, but she is a fast little bugger! I am not sure if this warranted making her throw up, but I thought better safe then sorry, so I gave her two tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide. She threw up the remains of the squeaker, and her dinner and everything else that might have been in there. I feel bad for putting her through that - but I wanted to err on the side of caution. For future reference, was this something that required inducing vomiting? It was one of those clear, soft plastic bulb type of squeakers.

Carol Ann

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest BlackandBrindle

I probably wouldn't induce vomitting, but Sadie has eaten some weird stuff with no problems. As long as there were no sharp edges, I'd assume it was fine to make them vomit.

Guest LindsaySF

I have had to induce vomiting in a dog before. One dog (my professor's dog on a retreat) ate rat poison :eek, one dog had eaten dark chocolate-covered coffee beans, and one dog ate sugar-free gum (containing xylitol).

As for objects like squeakers, that is tricky. If the item is large or sharp it may damage the esophagus on the way back up. It depends on what it is.

Glad Lady is ok!

Guest KennelMom

I wouldn't have induced vomiting in this case because of the choking hazard of bringing back up something like a toy squeaker.

And yep, H2O2 always does the trick!