General Procedure For Euthanasia?

Tracey

We've had only one bad experience since 1977. It was with a cat in kidney failure. We were told that his blood pressure was likely so low the first shot didn't take. The vet needed to put another shot directly into the heart. This was a "heart" cat of ours and it was very difficult to watch. The whole office was crying at and after this euthanasia.

All our other pets have had only one shot and most went before the solution was even out of the needle. One had gas before the shot, come to think of it. He had throat cancer and I think it was to relieve his labored breathing immediately.

When we lived in Hamden our vet was Dr Matz. She's wonderful and makes euthanasia as kind as possible. If she was your vet, I can assure you this euthanasia probably made her as upset as you.

I think in the future I'll ask for a sedative first, if I'm thinking clearly. I'm so sorry about Nigel.

Marcia in SC

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Champ was in a lot of Pain so they gave him morphine, my daughter wanted to get there to say good bye and I was begging them to do anything to save him, the vet was calling around and it was then time so he got the shot, it was AWFUL. I am so sorry. :bighug:bighug

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

I'm so sorry Nigel's passing was so hard. :bighug I can't imagine how I would handle it.

One thing I always warn people about is to expect a card from the clinic sometime in the next week or so. Most clinics will send a sympathy card and its quite a shock to get it when you were just starting to cope again.

*hugs*

I wish someone had warned me about this after my Sheltie was euthanized.

Skye had a sedative, and a peaceful passing, although the vet had to administer a second dose. They administered the sedative and then gave it time to work before the last shot. I really can't remember if they used IV or not.

Dancy did not need a sedative as she was already sedated for emergency care. The thing that amazed the vets and animal control was that, tore up as she was (both sides laid wide open by another dog and ribs crushed) she licked hands from the moment she was picked up to the second her heart stopped. I'm not sure she ever lost consciousness, but I know she was pain free and knew she was surrounded with love.

I wish vets would talk about what to do with the remains beforehand, though. It was hard to make a decision when my mind was on those last moments, and my answers were not always rational (to the vet's office people, anyway).

I do know, however, that depending on the solution used (I think it's the ketamine that causes this), there are sometimes muscle reactions (moaning, thrashing) that look scary, but the animal has already lost consciousness and are not experiencing their own violent reactions.

I'm so sorry for your bad experience. :grouphug

With my first grey, Maurice, I was too upset to pay much attention as my vet went over the details of the process. I think that he was given a sedative first...but, I wouldn't swear to it. When the ketamine (if that's the pink one?) was administered, he did try to raise his head out of my lap. I stroked him and got him to lay back down and relax....but, right before he passed, he tried to sit up and he took two gasping breaths. This broke my heart! The vet said that it sometimes happened as the body fights to keep going, but, that he was not conscience.

That was almost 10 years ago and I still cry when I think about it. :cry1

I'm sorry.

I've had two bad experiences--the vet was very gentle, but I do not believe that he administered a sedative. Several shots had to be given in the one case (a very old cat)--she just would not go, much like Gert describes...I felt sooooooo bad.

Its not an experience that is a good one to begin with, gentle hugs for the extra unpleasantness.

Edited by fliggie

I've had to put cats asleep and it was done with a quick sedative injection first. They were asleep in my lap when the final IV inj was given. I am fortunate to have a Vet who would come to my house. That is comforting to know if I ever have to have one of my greyhs put down, as they would be so much more relaxed. I'm so sorry for your experience...