Heather - Greys And More Greys

Guest kellybrown

Guest kellybrown

Hi Heather!

I tried to email you from your profile, but it wouldn't let me. I guess I don't know what I am doing.

I have Trooper (he used to be Gallantry). I was just wondering if you knew of any injuries he may have received to his right front foot. I didn't know if the kennel or his owner kept information about things like that. I adopted him in March and the day I got him he was running and playing and started limping on his foot. I noticed it is bigger in size than his left foot. When I had him at the vet's office he said he could feel something in there, an old injury.

Anyway, the last week or so, when he plays he starts crying and limping on his foot. Today he was in the yard and my husband heard him crying in the house. My husband had to carry him up the stairs from the yard. He won't put any weight on it yet. I was hoping to maybe find out any information about a previous injury so that I could relay it to my vet.

I just thought I would see if you knew anything. If not, no big deal. I can always get an x-ray if things don't improve.

He sure is a sweetheart!

Thanks!

Kelly

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Hey Kelly :)

my email is heathershoundz at aol

I'll check my profile info just to make sure it's correct.

yes, Trooper (Gallantry) did have an ankle injury to his right front foot.

Ankle's are a pain in the butt. During his time that we tried to work him back for racing he would be just fine then when he would really go all out on the track he would come up lame again.

he would then be taken off and rested for about a month or so.

You might need to restrict his running so he has a bit of time to heal up. Sounds like he aggravated his ankle again and now it's just staying soar.

Best way to manage his ankle is to not let him run all out for any real lengths of time and if you do see him limping after a good run, don't allow him to run again for a few weeks.

He's most likely not going to like that but his ankle needs to rest and not flare up.

He should be fine for short runs and playing but if you start to see any lameness make him rest for a week or more so he doesn't aggravate it further

Bones was retired from racing with an ankle injury that just would not heal. He was months and I mean months before he walked on that sucker without limping. Now at 10.5 he is fine. Well......on the ankle anyway.

Good luck to Trooper! His little sister Tru Calling is coming home to live in upstate NY in 26 days, but I am NOT counting. B) ........much......

Guest kellybrown
Bones was retired from racing with an ankle injury that just would not heal. He was months and I mean months before he walked on that sucker without limping. Now at 10.5 he is fine. Well......on the ankle anyway.

Good luck to Trooper! His little sister Tru Calling is coming home to live in upstate NY in 26 days, but I am NOT counting. B) ........much......

I just looked up her picture - she is very pretty. Trooper sure is sweet, I'm sure she will be a good girl.

Guest kellybrown
Hey Kelly :)

my email is heathershoundz at aol

I'll check my profile info just to make sure it's correct.

yes, Trooper (Gallantry) did have an ankle injury to his right front foot.

Ankle's are a pain in the butt. During his time that we tried to work him back for racing he would be just fine then when he would really go all out on the track he would come up lame again.

he would then be taken off and rested for about a month or so.

You might need to restrict his running so he has a bit of time to heal up. Sounds like he aggravated his ankle again and now it's just staying soar.

Best way to manage his ankle is to not let him run all out for any real lengths of time and if you do see him limping after a good run, don't allow him to run again for a few weeks.

He's most likely not going to like that but his ankle needs to rest and not flare up.

He should be fine for short runs and playing but if you start to see any lameness make him rest for a week or more so he doesn't aggravate it further

Thanks Heather. I guess it wasn't a major injury. I just didn't know if I should have him x-rayed or just see if it heals on its own. I will give him a few days and see how he does. I have about 3 days worth of Rimadyl left over from Lucy. She had a hurt foot a few weeks ago. Maybe that will make him feel better. I guess we will not go to the fun run this weekend. He was limping and crying this past Saturday morning while we were there. Your're right, he won't like it. He loves to run and play on Saturday mornings. He is so smart, if I'm going somewhere, he knows it. He runs to the drawer where the leashes are, he looks at the drawer and then looks at me. He's like - Do I get to go?

I told you I didn't know what I was doing. I didn't even see your email address on your profile. I was clicking on "Send Email", that didn't work.

Thanks again!

Kelly