Flea Collars... Why Are They Bad?

I told someone I would not use a flea collar on my dog because I don't think they are healthy.

Now they are paranoid and are asking what is wrong with them... what is an intelligent answer to give? :blush To me it is like having a citronella candle around your neck all the time, yuck! That just doesn't sound intelligent though... :rolleyes:

This is not for a greyhound, but a mixed breed.

Kim, (Herman), Pixie (NK Mary Ann), Kitten, Sammie, Darcy and Scout

Callie (Callie Walker), Ava (Lass Dance), July, Peanut, Kodi, Bailey, Kony, PJ, Scampie, Carlo & Casey waiting for us at the bridge

Guest sheila

I don't put flea collars on my pets and I don't regularly use flea repellents because in all the yrs I have had pets (40 yrs) we have only had flea issues exactly twice.

Guest luckydog

"If the flea collar is up around the dogs neck, then how does it kill the fleas down around the dogs butt?" is what I would ask your friend.

Guest Morgaynn

Ooh Ooh. I have the answer....Lemme go get my book real quick... 5 minutes tops and I can give you a reason why they aren't good for your pet.......

ETA: Okay.. This is too long to type.. but if you have Adopting the Racing Greyhound by Cynthia Branigan, turn to page 109 and read through to 110. (I was required to get and read this book by the adoption agency I adopted Nike from.) Basically the chemicals used in the collars are toxic to the point of causing vomiting, convulsions, and death in greyhounds as well as other breeds. She starts out by saying that "Standard flea collars have their origins in nerve-gas chemical warfare and they work by permeating the skin of your animals neck." If that isn't enough to turn anyone off of flea collars I don't know what is.

Edited by Morgaynn

Guest longdogs

Greyhounds are more sensitive to the long-lasting chemicals in flea collars than some other breeds. Some people use them with no problems but these are pretty nasty chemicals and it is well to be cautious. Modern alternatives, such as topicals, are probably more effective as well as being safer. I think that goes for all dogs, not just greys. I don't use flea collars on my cats either.

Guest sheila
If it kills fleas .....How can it be healthy for your pet?!?!?!

not good, because I would have to ask how allowing fleas live on my dog is healthy. The answer is that's it's not healthy so one would have to have an alternative to offer for someone whose pets have fleas.

If my pets had fleas I would treat with Frontline.