My Greyhound Has A Few Scrapes From A Fall

Guest jaxmax

Guest jaxmax

I was curious if anyone has any suggestions of what to do about the scrapes. He is licking one of them on his leg and it seems to be getting redder. I'd like to avoid putting a cone on him and I'm afraid that if I wrap some gauze on it, he will chew it off. It is really a very small spot but I don't want it ti get worse. Thanks

Guest StriderDog

Now is as good a time as any to teach the command "Leave It!"

When he goes for a lick, say "Leave it" and give him a little treat for looking at you instead of licking his leg. Takes a little practice, but it comes in handy in a lot of other situations too.

Guest GiJenn51

Both suggestions are great! Remember that dogs have been "licking their wounds" for thousands of years and have been doing pretty well too. The licking action they do also stimulates blood flow to the area.

Guest jaxmax
My guy often does battle with a rose bush and gets cuts and scrapes. The vet told me to put a sock on his foot. If it is up higher on the leg use a tube sock. Hold it in place with the cloth first aid tape.

Thanks, I'll try that.

Now is as good a time as any to teach the command "Leave It!"

When he goes for a lick, say "Leave it" and give him a little treat for looking at you instead of licking his leg. Takes a little practice, but it comes in handy in a lot of other situations too.

I'm working on that too! Thanks