Limping Off & On

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Ok, I have read a few threads about limping dogs. I have had my Bart-man for about 6 months now. He had a very serious right rear hock break (2 rods 8 screws- removed 4 months after being put in) so we didnt let him off-leash outside for the first 4 months we had him. We did however work up to long walks (3miles + daily). We did all the physical therapy excercizes that were recommended. So with that bit of history, we have taken him to a dog park every couple of weeks, as well as let him run zoomies around the yard (50'x70'). We (wife and I) have noticed on a few occasions after running at the dog park that he will limp a bit (front left leg) around the house after he has had a few hours to lay around (we thought he was stiff, maybe an old track injury). Well last night he and I were playing in the back yard (decent grass, no rocks - chicago suburbs) he was running around like crazy, and I noticed that at one point, he kinda slowed down from his full run as he was crossing the back yard. That point on (I only let him run a few more laps around the yard) he wouldnt run full out. At this time he had the "slightest" limp. I thought I heard a "clicking" sound kinda like his nails when he walks on pavement, and it looked like he may have hit his front leg with his back leg. Well forward a few hours later in the house and after dinner he now has a very pronounced limp, much worse than I have ever seen. I layed him down in the house and did a full "examination" if you can call my non-medical background an examination. I started at the top of his leg and began gently squeezing his muscles and such. Compairing the feel to his other leg to see if I feel any differences. I checked his paws for oddities (signs of corns, abraisions, redness, ect.). The only thing he reacted to was my squeezing his outter toe between the first and second joint. When I would gently squeeze between the joint, he would instantly and allways pull his leg back. I think there is something happening there, maybe a dislocation? So the wife and I get nervous, but decide we will wait until this morning to take him to the vet. Ok this morning, 5am breakfast & potty break, NO LIMPING! I get up to go to work about an hour later 6 or so, and he is limping now oh so slightly, but a few walking laps up and down the hallway, and it almost goes away. So this is where I am at, intermittent limping. How can I see a dislocation in a toe? Would it be something that would "pop" itself back into place and simply be a bit sore for a few days? I am leaning towards getting xrays just to be sure, but if someone has a similar experience I would greatly appreciate any feedback. Thanks all. And since everyone loves pictures, here is just a happy picture of my Bartman.

Sorry, forgot to add Bart's age, he is 4 yrs 3 months old.

bwbartwalk-1.jpg

Edited by Greyt_dog_lover

Guest KennelMom

A dislocation can pop itself back in place and would be sore for a few days. If that's what happened, you wouldn't really be able to see anything unless the toe swelled up, which sometimes doesn't happen if the toe pops out and right back in.I'd wait and see for a few days before I ran in for an xray since you can most likely attribute the soreness to a specific incident. It's the "limping out of the blue" in an older dog that worries me right away.

eta: I would leash walk only and cut out the zoomies for a couple weeks.

Edited by KennelMom

Guest ChasesMum

ditto above! since you can locate a painful spot, see how it is maybe Friday or so before you xray it. Probably it'll show nothing anyways!

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Just to update. My wife took Bart for a walk around the block this afternoon and NO limping. YEA! I thank the few responses and I will keep Bart leash walked for the next week or so to allow healing of whatever is going on.

He could also have stubbed or jammed the toe rather than dislocated it. Pups here have had that happen a time or two. Taking it easy for a bit so it has a chance to heal is usually all that's needed.

Smoochies on the forehead to handsome Bart.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Ok so I went home last night and carefully checked Barts toes. It would appear that his outside left toe at the first knuckle down is swollen. It is painful to the touch as he pulls away when I gently squeeze the toe. He is still limping slightly. It would appear either a break, jamming or displacement has occured (maybe?). Is there anything a vet can do for this, outside of pain med (which I dont see the need for)? Should I get an xray to be sure its not broken? If its like human toes that break, there really is nothing to do about it.

6 of one, half dozen of the other. If it's all lined up, functioning correctly, and not GROSSLY swollen, then I might just try to get him to take it easy on that foot. Might wrap the foot, just in some vetwrap, to give it support. When Zema dislocated a toe (vet had to pop it back in for me), she had no swelling or soreness but I did keep it wrapped for @ 10 days and leash walks only for @ 3-4 weeks. I knew what had happened, tho.

Sometimes vets do splint/wrap broken toes. In the experience of GTers, that is often more trouble than it's worth. Hoping some other folks weigh in with their experience to give you some ideas.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.