Jonelle Has Developed Gas

Hi All,

Jonelle had her dental on July 17th. She was started on Anirobe a few days prior to the procedure and continued afterward. She was on Anirobe a total of 10 days. Ever since then, she has had terrible gas. At first we thought it might take the antibiotics a few days to work out of her system but she has been off them at least 2 weeks. She NEVER had gas prior to this. I did switch her food back in April-almost 4 months exactly today- to Nature's Recipe Farmstand Selects and she has done very well. Her stools are much less in volume and very firm now. Her energy level was back to normal as well. If that food change was the cause, wouldn't that have happened long before now?

I stopped in at the vet's office yesterday and was given FortiFlora to sprinkle on her food once per day. So far, she's had 2 doses. A couple of days prior to that, I was giviing her a little plain yogurt after each meal. Any ideas on why this would happen now? There have been no other changes to her diet/treats.

It just seems odd that this all started right after her dental. She had the Anirobe last year and had no issues then.

Any insight is appreciated! Thanks! Carla and Jonelle

greytalksignatureresized.jpg

Guest ChasesMum

My only guess is that the antibiotic killed some of the good gut bacteria, causing her to not quite digest things right. Hopefully the Fortiflora will help - I assume its a doggie version of acidophilous or probiotics for people?

Anesthetic can cause some issues in people and I know greys are sensitive to it too so that may have played a part too?

Has she had yogurt prior to this last time? maybe the dairy on top of poor gut flora was too much?

I dunno... grasping at straws (or gas masks!) for you. :)

My only guess is that the antibiotic killed some of the good gut bacteria, causing her to not quite digest things right. Hopefully the Fortiflora will help - I assume its a doggie version of acidophilous or probiotics for people?

Anesthetic can cause some issues in people and I know greys are sensitive to it too so that may have played a part too?

Has she had yogurt prior to this last time? maybe the dairy on top of poor gut flora was too much?

I dunno... grasping at straws (or gas masks!) for you. :)

She's had yogurt in the past....I did give her yogurt last year when she took the Anirobe. I just totally forgot about picking some up for her this time. I gve her a couple of tablespoons after each meal over the weekend and Monday. She started the FortiFlora yesterday. I hope something starts working soon. I don't want to have to open windows on 90 degree days. :lol

greytalksignatureresized.jpg