Cooper

Guest newmama4Cooper

Guest newmama4Cooper

Thank you all for helping with the digestion issue. We are still working on it. He has lost so much weight in the last month that it makes me nervous. He always has an appetite, and his stool goes back and forth between runny/soft to hard. It's a challenge. I just hope that this weight comes back. He is down to 62.5 pounds, down from the 72 when i got him in October. Ahh!! Please send any suggestions my way to get him up there in weight. Thank you for all the love!!

Megan & Cooper

:headwall:ohno

You're going to need to feed him something besides rice and turkey if you want him to gain weight. Rice is extremely low calorie for a dog, and not terribly nutritious. Eating only rice, a 75-lb. dog would need around 2.5 cups DRY measure rice to maintain weight. Turkey is usually pretty low fat and low calorie as well.

Have you and your vet considered using Hills Z/D Ultra and/or one of the high-cal nutrition pastes?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest newmama4Cooper
Has your vet done a TLI on him to check for a gluten intolerance? I can't remember, how old is he?

He is six. the TLI came back "normal," just low B12. I guess I just don't know what that is going to do to help, but I am so new at this and my vet makes me feel a little dumb for asking sometimes. We are doing a blood chemistry and fecal sample to start from scratch and see whats wrong. I want that weight back!

Megan

Guest boondog
Has your vet done a TLI on him to check for a gluten intolerance? I can't remember, how old is he?

He is six. the TLI came back "normal," just low B12. I guess I just don't know what that is going to do to help, but I am so new at this and my vet makes me feel a little dumb for asking sometimes. We are doing a blood chemistry and fecal sample to start from scratch and see whats wrong. I want that weight back!

Megan

I'm sorry to hear about Cooper's problems. I don't remember your original thread. I'd get a second opinion (if you haven't already), if not a different vet altogether. Your vet should NEVER make you feel dumb, no matter what you ask.

Guest paulamariez

Have you tried various types of canned dog food? There are so many different varieties out there, there may be one that Cooper actually likes and works with his digestive problems. I've had really good luck with the Wellness canned for Bueller, my extremely picky eater. They have all different types of meat, poultry and fish, plus they're well rounded with sweet potatoes and barley, amongst other excellent ingredients.