Thinking Of Switching Vets

Our dogs' vet is in a different city, about 40 miles away. We LOVE them, and they are not only fantastic vets (and staff), but they are very, very knowlegable.

We take our cat to a vet who's closer geographically, because he gets nervous in the car, so we don't want to drive him long distances. The vet is a good friend of ours, and knows sighthounds/performance dogs (he's a vet for a long-distance sled-dog race in Michigan, and has been on the staff for the Iditirod in the past). He's a greyt guy, and I'd have no problem taking my dogs to him. The only reason we didn't when we first started in dogs is because we did not know him then - we met him later. He also likes natural treatments whenever possible (I like that a lot!), and is fantastic in dealing with pets - they all love him!

Anyway, his prices are similar, and he's a lot closer, so we'd save money in gas. And we all know how important that is.

Cooper still needs his annual this year, so I am thinking of scheduling him with our friend/vet, and writing a letter to our current vet. I will explain that we have never been disappointed in our service, the way we have been treated, or the way our dogs have been treated. We like these folks a lot, and will continue to highly recommend this vet to people who live in/near this city, if asked.

What do you all think?

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest KennelMom

I think that sounds fair. I can't imagine why your old vet wouldn't understand why you are switching. It's nice of you to make sure they know why you're leaving their practice.

Guest mickey85

How many times do you need to go to the vet yearly? I only ask because if it's once or twice, it'd be good to keep him (better the devil you know, than the one you don't kinda thing)...Heck, my vet is 25 miles away, and I have to kennel my dog occasionally, but I go to her because she knows her stuff and her prices are fair. Besides, Delilah only has to go to the vet (besides kenneling) twice a year...

As much as we rely on and like our vets, a veterinary practice is a business. You have the right to go to whatever vet you want, for whatever reason you want. It would be very thougthful to let your far away vet know you've been happy with them--but you really have no obligation to do anything at all in that regard. I left my former vet because he kept tacking on a $2.50 hazardous waste disposal fee to my visits. Didn't seem reasonable to charge every client a fee for their Sharps disposal waste when they pay a set rate no matter how many needles are in the box. The notion that they were willing to lose my three cats and a dog as patients of $2.50 made me realize that even though they always treated me just fine, I'm a customer to them, not a friend.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck